Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can only apply for a secured hsbc product

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: can only apply for a secured hsbc product

HSBC stopped offering cards but Household Bank (I didn't know there was a difference) is very much still offering cards.

But if you ask me, if your going to get a lower limit card, the Best Buy MasterCard is the best choice out there because of the rewards

Message 11 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

householdbank is hsbc.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 12 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

When I go to Householdbank.com... you go through a pre-approval thing and then get an offer for either a reward card or a plan jane card, all with annual fee from what I can see.

That's why I like the best buy mc better, they have been handing those out with no annual fee like crazy.

if you search above for best buy mastercard pre approval you should find link

Message 13 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

best buy doesn't go by pre approval, and most are started out with the 59 usd AF. yes they do have the gold without the AF but it is 23 percent APR.

there are three types of rzmc cards

18 percent apr - platinum

21.74 percent apr - gold (59 AF). this is what almost everyone gets...

23 percent apr - gold

Message 14 of 24
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

householdbank is hsbc.

No it isn't

HSBC is a British Bank ( originally Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation). It is one of the largest banks worldwide.

Household Bank like Orchard were bought by HSBC so they are subsiduaries.     Household and Orchard are considered sub prime by most.   HSBC (especially outside the US) is considered a prime bank.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bostonte wrote:
How long ago did you try that link? It's well confirmed as dead and only offering secured for some time now. If you get anything other than secured, consider yourself very special.

Not dead.

I tried the link two minutes before my posting the link.

Also just noticed a soft hit on my credit report from HSBC.

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

householdbank is hsbc.

No it isn't

HSBC is a British Bank ( originally Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation). It is one of the largest banks worldwide.

Household Bank like Orchard were bought by HSBC so they are subsiduaries.     Household and Orchard are considered sub prime by most.   HSBC (especially outside the US) is considered a prime bank.

The line is blurry between Orchard / Household and HSBC.

I have a zillion-year-old Orchard that reports as HSBC on two credit reports and as Household on one.

I have an HSBC Premier that reports Household on one (but not the same one as my Orchard) and HSBC on two. 

All my soft INQs are HSBC.

Message 17 of 24
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

householdbank is hsbc.

No it isn't

I have a zillion-year-old Orchard that reports as HSBC on two credit reports and as Household on one.

I have an HSBC Premier that reports Household on one (but not the same one as my Orchard) and HSBC on two. 

True enough, My HSBC reportst the same way.   They have done some sharing of the reporting to CB and other administration. 

I think they are trying to keep the brands seperate though.

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wolf3 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Wolf3 wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

householdbank is hsbc.

No it isn't

True enough, My HSBC reportst the same way.   They have done some sharing of the reporting to CB and other administration. 

I think they are trying to keep the brands seperate though.

Very likely.

The tradeline with "Household" gives me the chills as it makes me think of the bottom-feeders Household Finance.  Orchard also has a sub-prime ring to it.  

Difficult to guess what HSBC has planned, though.  They have pretty much a bad reputation for cc's in the US as compared to a first-rate reputation abroad.  Maybe they are now trying to segment their portfolio -- HSBC w/ the best, Household with the average and Orchard with the rebuilders? 

Message 19 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

thank you creditaddict, oddly enough you inadvertently persuaded me to make a second attempt at applying for a RZMC... well what do you know.. APPROVED 1500 CL 21.74 APR. but i have a 59 AF.

this will be my first cc ever that has an AF. i am going to call back door and ask ever so kindly to waive most or all of the AF and to increase my CL.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.