Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can only apply for a secured hsbc product

tag
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

Re: can only apply for a secured hsbc product

snipet of agreement disclosure:

"If based on your creditworthiness, we determine you do not quality for the Platinum Reward Zone MasterCard, you agree we may consider you for an account with the terms and conditions of the Gold MasterCard with Fee. If approved for the Gold MasterCard with Fee, you agree to its terms and conditions."

if they are handing out 0 AF RZMC cards, they are only platinum 18 percent apr cards. now if i got a 1500 limit to start and i still couldn't qualify for that card, there must be alot of people out there applying for a RZMC card that have a credit profile that is better than mine.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 21 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, congrats, I guess. Smiley Happy

But for the life of me, I don't understand why you want this card. The store card is miles better, better starting CL's, better CLI's. It might satisfy your itch for a card from HSBC. Mine started at $4K when my scores were 40 points below yours, and it's up to $5.2K now with absolutely no effort on my part and hardly any usage.

But hey, that's cool.

Chacun a son gout! Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 24
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

bank cards have a higher credit quality level than a store credit card. installment loans higher, then mortgage loans being the highest. i might go for bb in the future, but i dont need it right now. i am the kind of person that is investigative, so naturally i couldn't resist the temptation to reapply to find out what would happen. i learned this credit quality from the plus system however. but i much perfer bank cards anyway. it just doesnt completely fulfill my "credit card fix" unless its an actual bank card.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 23 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@scottwagnon wrote:

bank cards have a higher credit quality level than a store credit card. installment loans higher, then mortgage loans being the highest. i might go for bb in the future, but i dont need it right now. i am the kind of person that is investigative, so naturally i couldn't resist the temptation to reapply to find out what would happen. i learned this credit quality from the plus system however. but i much perfer bank cards anyway. it just doesnt completely fulfill my "credit card fix" unless its an actual bank card.

Sez who? Smiley Happy

Actually, I agree that bank cards carry more weight than store cards, but not that much more. And for scoring purposes, CC's carry way more weight than do installment/ mortgage tradelines, and that's true for store cards as well as bank cards.

I guess it gets down to what you want from a credit account. I liked building up my credit profile, but I tried to avoid getting cards just for the sake of getting cards. I want them to do something for my personal finances as well --generally cash rewards.

And if you're thinking about the supposed "prestige" of various cards, I'm afraid that HSBC cards won't make many American lenders swoon. In the rest of the world, where HSBC is a real bank, yes, but not here. They got their entree into the US market by buying Orchard's and (I think) Household's portfolios, and they've pretty much stuck with that demographic ever since, greatly contrasting with their rankings on the rest of the planet.

And in fact, I wound up with my Best Buy store card out of my own investigative spirit, when a thread was going around about pre-certs on their website. I knew I'd be reading about it for the next month, so I decided to check it out for myself. I never got the screen that allowed me to back out before the app went in, so boom there I was, the owner of a BB store card. Go figure.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.