cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't even get a savings account so how do i get a secured credit card?

tag
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: can't even get a savings account so how do i get a secured credit card?

@mt2va wrote:

@distantarray I am an AU on a Visa card my mom has from FNBO.  However, I've not seen it show up on any of my credit reports.  Any idea how to make that happen??  Both of my parents have perfect credit.  (my dad's is probably slightly better due to having longer credit history and more income than my mom but I know hers is good as well)  However, my dad still isn't speaking to me (over my soon to be ex that he thought I took to long to finally leave) so he's not going to add me.  My mom did so I would have a CC if I had an emergency. 

Not all accounts will report. Some will only report with a same address listed, like GECRB will only list with same address usually.

Chase

Bank of America

Capital One

Amex

Discover  

are the ones I KNOW report off the top of my head. you can do a search for spousal AU those are the ones that'll report to your credit. 

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 21 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Hey ive been in the same shoes as you. My abusive ex was buying pills on the street with my hard earned cash... I left that relationship with tons of debt 34k total.... the good news is that I dug myself out of the hole and was able to buy my first home 2 and a half years later using FHA. There were multiple accounts that he had gotten a hold of and maxed out... but the good news is that you can deal with them 1 by 1 until they are all gone. I left in 2006 and I settled the last debt in 2009.

Good luck to you! Definately look at secured cards from Usaa as well as a secured loan. The secured loan will definately help your scores as well. I rebuilt with 1 secured loan, 1 chase freedom with a 200 limit; and my discover which was in my moms undie drawer ever since I got it in 1999. She ot it out for me in 2006 and it was still open

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 26
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

There are secured cards you can get without a credit pull:

Applied Bank is one off the top of my head.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 23 of 26
JustinNguyen
Contributor

Google for second chance for checking account.

Message 24 of 26
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your situation, hopefully things can only get better from here.  Now that you have a checking account you can concentrate on other things.  First try to rebuild your relationship with USAA and NCFU, these aren't people you really want to burn.  Next take your baddies and start tackling them one at a time.  It's going to take awhile to get it straightened out but you know it's worth it.  Grab a chair and pull yourself up to the table in the rebuilding threads and get comfortable.  It can be done.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 25 of 26
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

I was in your shoes few years ago and even scrubs like Credit One would not give me a penny. I eventually went with Applied Bank secured credit card. They don't check anything and don't do credit checks. I only put $250 as secured deposit. They also had no annual fee for first year and 9.9% APR. Now they don't report to EQ, just EX and TU, but under the circumstances I could not be picky. I also did a lot of GW for lot of accounts and slowly collections went away, some COs dissapeared from other sub-prime lenders I burned back in 07 like First Trust Bank of South Dakota or something..had Legacy Visa with them and Some kind of MC. My credit eventally rebounded from 497 FICO to now 673 FICO. It has been a struggle, but I can say that Applied Bank helped a lot. I never had a problem with them other than sucky call center auto system. I paid everything on line, PIF, when time came, I closed the card while still having $77 balance on it and they send me a difference by check within like 14 days. Credit One gave me a card like 3 months after Applied Bank and they are now closed as well. These days I'm not out of the Sub-prime woods yet...got 2HSBC, 2 CAPITAL ONE (I guess that makes 4 CAPONEs), AMEX Zync and Discover IT. getting there slowly and surely so there is hope..you might have have a combo of secured cards and do a lot of PFDs and GWs but you'll get there.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.