Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can this be considered a hobby?

tag
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

can this be considered a hobby?

I've come to realize that I'm on here every single day...and that I'm very concerned with my credit and constantly checking my credit card accounts online, my loans, etc...I'm always keeping tabs on everything, I'm very organized when it comes to managing payments and have never been late with anything...Now, I also notice that aside from this I don't really do much of anything else aside from play video games once in awhile. I didn't really know where to post this but I guess my question is- do any of you out there consider manaing your credit and monitoring your scores a "hobby"? Is that a bad thing? Or is everyone on this site like I am? Obviously everyone on here is concerned with their credit but I just need to know if I'm being over-the-top when it comes to this..Thanks everyone.
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: can this be considered a hobby?

It is a hobby for me, especially applying for new credit! which I am done applying until my bk is discharged in a couple months
Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny, I never quite thought of it as a hobby but I suppose I too share your hobby!  I check & review all my accounts daily to include cc, loans and banking.  Am very organized & pre-plan all pmts (before statements post of course) and check myFICO daily.  I simply enjoy it. 
Message 3 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definately a hobby although I am in the rebuilding stage but I am the same I am on here every day and I also check my cards daily.
Message 4 of 27
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I'm also here almost daily. This site is alot of things to me. Hobby, learning experience and also making friends.Smiley Wink
FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I'm pretty far along with my rebuilding (borderline High Achiever), but the monitoring and trolling for new products remains a hobby with a purpose. Posting on this site is more of a vocation.

Message 6 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Addiction.  Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 27
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Addiction.  Smiley Happy

addiction and a hobby.
Message 8 of 27
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

It began as a hobby during rebuilding . . . Now it's an addiction. 

I don't NEED more credit but I monitor this board several times per day (along with my online accounts and other forums).  When a new card appears that has great rates and/or rewards, I'm like a cat in a room full of rockers . . . . I feel that I just HAVE to get this new card.  It's a constant battle within myself to maintain credit gardening and not apply (a battle which I frequently lose).  I now maintain 10 major cards, 3 store cards (counting Care Credit as a store card), a LOC and a motorcycle loan.

My scores are EQ - 740, TU - 737 (both FICO).  I would probably be in the 800's but can't get my AAoA up there because of the frequent (every three months or so), new account.

So yes, it is an addiction and a fun one as long as I can PIF.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

You need to figure out how to calculate your AAoA and start tracking it on your own. If you shift your focus to that it will go up! I have mine in a spreadsheet and will not app again until it is higher. (AAoA being at least 5 does make a difference!) The good news is the more reporting TL's you have on your CBR's the less a new account will lower your AAoA. If you have more than 12 TL's a new account will lower AAoA by less that one month!
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.