cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you get approved while on unemployment?

tag
Butter41
Established Member

can you get approved while on unemployment?

i want to continue to build up my credit, but i am on unemployment. I have had zero job offers and may not work again for several months.

Myfico TU is 670 and I currently have an AMEX zync (8 yrs with AMEX) and a cap1for about 16 months.

Since I'm kind of starting over, my income, when I start working again, will be around minimum wage levels. My current unemployment is much higher than that.

I'm just trying to survive and build my credit. Would anyone approve me with my current situation? I'm thinking an AMEX revolver, Chase Amazon Visa or Discover it

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: can you get approved while on unemployment?

I think you'll find this difficult until you have steady employment.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

I got Chase Amazon when I was still a student ($0 income, about 3k allowance per month from parents). I got approved. Not sure about Discover, but for Amex it might be hard. Then again, you already have an account with them, so its worth a try. A denial is just a soft pull.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 13
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Amex is gonna be tough. I t might be tough with your score even if you had a job. Discover  IT is your best shot of the three. An added bonus with them is they have been very generous with CLIs according to several posts on this site in recent weeks  Do you have any savings or alternate source of income? If you get a credit card, how will you pay the bill?   If you have any savings or brokerage accounts then you can list that on your applications. I would recommend Capital One, You won't  have a huge credit limit or great rewards, but you will have a positive tradeline to keep growing your credit and to contribute to your average age of accounts.  Capital One would be a company wnho may work with you even with very limited income. Also a secured card may be an option. Remember on credit reports, it doesn't indicate whether you have a secured or unsecured card. The other great thing about getting a secured card is that if, heavenforbid, you are unable to find work for a longer time than anticipated, any charges you make are secured by your deposit. I think you are right to want to continue to build your credit while unemployed, just make sure any moves you make don't end up having negative implications to your credit report. Better no credit card for a little while than one with late payments.

If you stand back from the situation and reexamine your motives, be sure you are not getting a credit card to charge stuff that you can't afford to pay back. If you trust yourself to get  credit card and not use it, just merely have it to improve your credit, then that is ok, but if in the back of your mind you think you may use it to go into debt while unemployed, better to stay away and not compound your problems and hold off til you have more income. Good luck. I'm sure you will find work soon...

Message 4 of 13
eviLution
Established Contributor

Achievement unlocked:  The Great Wall of Text

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 5 of 13
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@eviLution wrote:

Achievement unlocked:  The Great Wall of Text

Smiley Happy omg it is early in the morning....

Message 6 of 13
tbolt2
Contributor

I would assume that it would be difficult, but....... Bank of America lists "unemployment / other" as a source of income on a "you have been pre-selected"  CC offer my wife received from them yesterday.....

Starting Score: 534 11/09
Current Score: FICO 652 05/11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I got a BCE with a $3500 limit and a 6976 TU Fico.

However, Im employed and have a nice hhi and a little in investments.
Doesn't hurt to try.
A Chase/Barclay's card is more likely to approve you w a 670.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

696*
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 13
lithium78
Established Contributor

Wouldn't unemployment count as income?  So, you could just use that for your personal income on your application.  It might reduce your starting CL, though, depending on your state's limits for unemployment.  Some states only offer a very low weekly limit.  Just make sure that if you are getting new credit that you aren't getting into debt, because that will be hard to dig back out of in your current situation.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.