Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you guys recommend a new card?

tag
samint
Established Member

can you guys recommend a new card?

I have exactly 2 years this month since i started building credit. I had NOTHING before that I have 4 cc's in total.

My first credit account is a joint account with a friend with a retail store. He did it to help me out to start off my credit file.

His history is impecabble and the retail store gave us ( rather him ) a nice credit limit. It was a HUGE jump from 0 credit.

my second card is a capital one with a CL of 500$ and has been stuck there over a year.

My third card is AMEX Green. I chose this one over the gold .I was glad I was able to clinch on the AMEX offer. My friend and paid the retail store

fairly quickly and I alwas PIF my cap 1, however i carry a small balance from time to time now since ive given up on it.

My 4th card is a GEMB Banana Republic with a CL of 4,7000.

1st account ( oct 2009 ) , cap1 ( may 2010 ) ,  amex (sept 2010)  , gemb oct 2010

In those 2 years, the mistakes I made in my credit profile was doing too many inquiries. I also had used the GEMB card extensively

and i wasnt aware of the damage that reporting a card almost maxed out would do  when it came too applying to other companies.

I was still new ( and still am ) to mantaining a healthy credit report. But I learned and took care of that problem.

To get to the point, I really, REALLY  want to drop Capital One , but im afraid because its really is my FIRST cc. First one is joint. Also because

it's my second oldest account ( 1y 6m ). I dont know what it would do to my credit score if i dropped them. If i could do , Id want to do it before

the account gets any older.

I have a couple of offers from Chase and Discover. However the too many inquiries haunts my history accross all 3 bureaus, so ive chosen not to apply

but im itching to do it just to get rid of cap 1. I believe I have 12 in the past 2 years with 2 dropping this month and possibly 4 in total by the end of this year.

Am i taking chances with that number of inquiries? Can you guys recommend any other companies besides Chase and Discover.

I dont want any retail cards. Im done with those for now.

I would go to my local CU but Im on chexsystems because of an overdraft. I did pay off the debt. the debt NEVER got reported to any bereau.

my eq fico score is 702. possibly higher now because of the cli and lowering my utilization.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: can you guys recommend a new card?

I think you would qualify for Chase Freedom, I got 2k CL with  a score about 680

Message 2 of 5
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Why do you want to drop Cap1?   You file is thin and IMO you should keep it.

How long are you going to keep joint account with friend?   It may be time to get your own or close it.

Message 3 of 5
pj421fly
Valued Member

Follow these easy steps...

1-Take Cap One card out of your wallet.

2-Stick the card in your old high school yearbook.

3-Leave it there!

don't close it, just don't use it!

Wait 1 year since your last inquiry then apply for the Chase Freedom card!

.......Smiley Wink

Starting Score: TU-691 EQ-681 EX-693
Current Score: TU-826 EQ-816 EX-814
Goal Score: 830+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
haiti222
Contributor

You look like good Barclay's material, perhaps a Priceline Visa?

http://www.priceline.com/promo/priceline_rewards_card.asp

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.