Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you re-open a closed CC account??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you re-open a closed CC account??

6 years ago i applied for an amex cc and was approved for 1000.

I was 17 at the time and was scared of racking up debt at a young age.. so i called amex and asked them to close it

it still shows on my CR as a closed account "per customers request"

Is it possible to call amex and ask them to reopen the account? or do i just need to reapply for a new cc through them..

MY CR has changed since i was 17 however, and i do have a negative report on my CR now..

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Re: can you re-open a closed CC account??

It's been a while, but I wasn't aware anyone would give you credit at 17..anyway, I would probably call them and mention the account to see if they can just start where you left off, I've heard of that happening before. They WILL pull your credit again though to make sure your situation hasn't changed since they approved the first one.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

6 years ago i applied for an amex cc and was approved for 1000.

I was 17 at the time and was scared of racking up debt at a young age.. so i called amex and asked them to close it

it still shows on my CR as a closed account "per customers request"

Is it possible to call amex and ask them to reopen the account? or do i just need to reapply for a new cc through them..

MY CR has changed since i was 17 however, and i do have a negative report on my CR now..

Not sure how this would work, since you probably lied when applying since you can not get your own card until your 18 years old. Well good news is if you get approved because of American Express backdating there's no real point in "reopening" an account. You should have had your member start date locked in.

Message 3 of 7
JayDilla
Valued Member

I think you can get credit cards depends on the state you live in. Like Illinois where I'm from you're an adult at 17.

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
calihlove75
Established Contributor

@JayDilla wrote:

I think you can get credit cards depends on the state you live in. Like Illinois where I'm from you're an adult at 17.

I live in Chicago and the age of majority in IL is 18. Not sure where you got 17.

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 5 of 7
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

They probably pull your Credit report again and the baddie maybe one of the reason they base on.....But you would def going to get a BACKDATE love from Amex if approved.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't bother to reopen the account. Just wait till the January and apply for new account, it will be backdated to 6 years ago

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.