venmichaels

can you re-open a closed CC account??

6 years ago i applied for an amex cc and was approved for 1000.

I was 17 at the time and was scared of racking up debt at a young age.. so i called amex and asked them to close it

it still shows on my CR as a closed account "per customers request"

Is it possible to call amex and ask them to reopen the account? or do i just need to reapply for a new cc through them..

MY CR has changed since i was 17 however, and i do have a negative report on my CR now..

Established Contributor
sphinx313

Re: can you re-open a closed CC account??

It's been a while, but I wasn't aware anyone would give you credit at 17..anyway, I would probably call them and mention the account to see if they can just start where you left off, I've heard of that happening before. They WILL pull your credit again though to make sure your situation hasn't changed since they approved the first one.

Starting Score: 532/564 10/21/12
Current Score: TU: 594 EQ: 628 EX: 617 BoA Credit Pull Denial Letter 2/20/2013
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
New Visitor
reaction

venmichaels wrote:

6 years ago i applied for an amex cc and was approved for 1000.

I was 17 at the time and was scared of racking up debt at a young age.. so i called amex and asked them to close it

it still shows on my CR as a closed account "per customers request"

Is it possible to call amex and ask them to reopen the account? or do i just need to reapply for a new cc through them..

MY CR has changed since i was 17 however, and i do have a negative report on my CR now..

Not sure how this would work, since you probably lied when applying since you can not get your own card until your 18 years old. Well good news is if you get approved because of American Express backdating there's no real point in "reopening" an account. You should have had your member start date locked in.

Valued Member
JayDilla

I think you can get credit cards depends on the state you live in. Like Illinois where I'm from you're an adult at 17.

Starting Score: 452
Current Score: 563
Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
calihlove75

JayDilla wrote:

I think you can get credit cards depends on the state you live in. Like Illinois where I'm from you're an adult at 17.

I live in Chicago and the age of majority in IL is 18. Not sure where you got 17.

100% Ficos: EX 762, TU 767, EQ 754 Inquiries last 1 year/6 months: EX-0/0, TU- 0/0, EQ-2/1~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014
Discover IT $8000~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $2000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $14,000~ Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $2500~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Valued Contributor
nicholasyud

They probably pull your Credit report again and the baddie maybe one of the reason they base on.....But you would def going to get a BACKDATE love from Amex if approved.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 9k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 3.4k|Cap: 3.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 5k| Pen:4.5k

Regular Contributor
BCF

Don't bother to reopen the account. Just wait till the January and apply for new account, it will be backdated to 6 years ago

Wallet: AMEX Blue Cash Preferred 5k; BofA Visa CashRewards 5k; BofA 1-2-3 MasterCard 4.4k; Citi TY Premier 2.5k; AMEX HHonors 3.5k, Chase Marriott 5k, Barclays US Airways 2.5k, Kohl's 300

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+