cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you reopen previously closed credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can you reopen previously closed credit cards?

Hi.  Before I read this forum,  I stupidly closed quite a few credit cards/credit lines.   They had huge lines of credit on them.  Is there any way to ask the companies to reopen the accounts without pulling a new credit report?  I don't want the inquiry and I'm sure I no longer qualify for the large credit lines.  What do you think?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can you reopen previously closed credit cards?

I would call and ask. Make sure to ask if its a "hard pull" or "Hard inquiry". Its worth a shot.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which is better or worse?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

jamaraz1 wrote:
Which is better or worse?

A hard pull will drop your score and a soft will not ...
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi jamarez. I agree with chiwiseguy. Call up each creditor and ask them what it will take to re-open your account. If you closed a high cl account and regret doing it, I'd even take a hard inq to get it/them back.

How long ago did you close the accounts?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I closed both accounts a little over a year ago.  I'm trying to get my credit score up so I hate for anything derog. to appear.  My biggest problem isn't baddies it's high balances on credit cards.  I want to lease 2 cars this year and won't be able to pay down my credit cards until after I lease both cars.  My overall utilization is 43% but I am close to maxed out on several cards (around 91%).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.