Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canceling all credit cards?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Re: canceling all credit cards?

OP. Fix your card balances to get you in the green. The key is not treating credit cards like free money. Spend on the cards like you would your bank account. If you have it, spend it, if not, then don't. Simple as that! Then close the ones that have an AF to help save some cash.
Personal:

Business:

Message 31 of 34
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Just keep 2.  Use one for recurring bills and another as if you were using a debit card.  I have 9 cards right now (trigger finger) but I still only spend what i would if I had none.  just have to manage different accounts now instead of just checking my checking account.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 32 of 34
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

I would close all but one but I totally understand your feeling. I spend more money when I have a credit card. 

Edit: sorry forgot to add something: as someone who has done it before, I can tell you that I lost a good 75 -80  points on my credit score when I closed my one and only credit card that had a limit of $15,000. My credit went from roughly 765 to 680 ish or something. The only accounts on my credit report during that time were two student loans. Hope that helps. 

Message 33 of 34
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Close them if you're not concerned with credit scores..otherwise run them through a shredder. 

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.