Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot get credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cannot get credit card

Tried to get a M&T credit card because it is who I bank with,but they turned me down because they state " history of delenquncies"

YEAH in Feb 2008 it would have been 3 years ago.

I see people with more recent delenquecies on here that get credit cards with lower scores than mine which are. 677 661 678 .

I guess M&T does not want new customers or because the major increase in credit card lates and defaults that are going around, they are running scared.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: cannot get credit card

You have decent scores-
There really must be something else going on-
Utl high? Income? Collections? Public records?

Maybe none of these apply to you-
A Credit union would be where I would look if getting this type of reaction from my bank-
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was trying to get back into the credit game, I applied for an Orchard Bank unsecured MasterCard and I was approved.  My scores were around 550 at the time with all 3 Credit Reporting Agencies.  This was around Aug of 2004.  At that time, I had several delinquincies, 1 other credit card with 3 late payments on it, and several other accounts with 30, 60, and 90 day lates all over the place.

Since then, I paid off the delinquincy (It was only 140 bucks) and asked the other creditors to remove my baddies and/or accounts with late payments and they did.  Now, I own several store cards, a Discover Card -$4500 limit, Chase Visa - $5000 limit, and an AMEX Blue - $10,000 limit.  My scores now are TU - 756, EQ - 766, and EX - 751. 

If you can and if you have baddies, see if your creditors will remove them.  The worse they can say is no.  However, if you have many and recent ones, chances are they will not be removed.  I was hesitant due to the fact that I simply felt weird asking them to remove them.  I was so glad I asked!

Best of luck to you!  Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
cobra19
Valued Contributor

zman...........your scores are not bad. If M & T doesn't want your business, I"d close my account and bank elsewhere.  I am not familiar with M & T - so can't really comment on their credit policies, but, I have also read posts here about folks getting approved for cc's with scores much lower than yours.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replys all, Thats why I cannot understand why I would get turned down just flat.
But because of M&T's practices and they way they handle their accounts (really screwy)
they will take a debit 12/15/07 and credit it 12/15/07 the next day 12/16/07 and debit it again. It's like  they are gambling with my money or something.
I am going to close my account with them next week anyway.

I dropped to 654 from 661 because of the Inquiry so I will have to wait till I get above 661 again to see if Orchard will give me something.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck
You really need to start seperating your self from the sub-prime CCC's.

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for replys all, Thats why I cannot understand why I would get turned down just flat.
But because of M&T's practices and they way they handle their accounts (really screwy)
they will take a debit 12/15/07 and credit it 12/15/07 the next day 12/16/07 and debit it again. It's like they are gambling with my money or something.
I am going to close my account with them next week anyway.
I dropped to 654 from 661 because of the Inquiry so I will have to wait till I get above 661 again to see if Orchard will give me something.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought I could seperate from the sub prime with the scores I have but to no avail.

I did not tell all, but I did have some late payments (60) way back in 02/12/2004 and 2 hospital collections that amounted to 1600.00 that were paid off in Feb 2005 and reflect that also.

But that was long ago and that is why I have the scores I have today. 677/661/678 

In February the lates will be over 3 years old and perfect ever since.

Message Edited by zman on 12-26-2007 07:17 AM
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have over 2 years clean payment history and 660 FICO's you should be able to play ball with many of the major issuers.
I recieved accounts with these issuers with scores lower than yours.(I acctually don't know what my score was when I opened WAMU)
CCCU, WAMU, Juniper, AMEX,

You could also try Hooters, Capital One or best thing is a Credit union.
Message 8 of 13
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Get those 2 paid collections removed - and you'll see a nice increase. 2005 is not that long ago in FICO land.

I would also GW that 60-day late from 2004.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried to get those collections removed but they refuse. And cuircit city refused to remove 60 also.

I had syrup oozing out of my mouth when I called 3 different times but to no avail.

Have not tried the letter thing yet though.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.