Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cap 1 question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cap 1 question

so i got a plat cap1 and a qs1 and had them for about a month how long do i need to have them before i can do a PC and cli?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: cap 1 question

Generally you need to show 6 months of history for a CLI. One month is not going to cut it. As far as the PC/upgrade, id say the same thing. Be patient and show history.
Message 2 of 6
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

so i got a plat cap1 and a qs1 and had them for about a month how long do i need to have them before i can do a PC and cli?

PC upgrade happens at 6 months.  CLI varies, I've gotten increases on all my card at the third statement cut with Capital One.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 3 of 6

While I agree there are "general" guidelines regarding this question, please keep in mind everyone's profile is different. Depending on income and perhaps internal credit scoring you may see PC and/or CLI sooner.

After years of eschewing credit cards (only was AU on two of my wife's low limit cards) I applied for a Cap1 Platinum credit steps. After second statement cut I requested and was approved for CLI from $3k to $6k. After about 90 days I requested a PC to Quicksilver and received it.

FYI, I made multiple >$1k transactions and made sure to make multiple large payments to offset that. Also I have several years of on time student loan payments so that may help if they use some kind of internal risk scoring. My scores were not high by any means I can promise you that.

You have to consider the possibility that half the people giving you advice may not have any real data to back up what they say. The best you can do is take the aggregate of what you read and weigh it against what you know about your own credit profile. I certainly wouldn't dissuade you from trying for a CLI if you think you would benefit from it. It's a soft pull, no harm no foul.
Message 4 of 6
Nova5041
Frequent Contributor

For new accounts, you can get a CLI after 3 months, then 6 months after. If you in credit steps' then CLI after 3 months, 5 statements and then 6 months after. PC probably after 6 months to a year.

BK 7 Discharged: 5/30/2018
Fico Scores after Discharge: Experian-552 TransUnion- 490 Equifax- 571
Message 5 of 6
kt1010
Valued Member

I was able to get a PC from Platinum MC to QS with no annual fee after 2 months. YMMV.

Last App 12/15 Garden until 12/16 Capital One QS1 ($750) First Premier ($1.4k) Capital One QS ($750) VS Angel Card ($1.6k) Amazon ($700) Kohls ($500)

Starting Score 09/15: EQ 544 TU 590 EX 563
Current Score: EQ 583 TU 613 EX 598
Goal Score: 720 or better

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.