Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cap one blacklist UPDATE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cap one blacklist UPDATE

I got an interesting letter, I thought I'd share.

In April I was applying for more credit, since I only had one open card. I closed a CapOne in 2005, that I'd had for 3 years. No lates, no derogs, nothing. Shows up on all my reports as "closed by consumer".

I thought since I had this acct was in good standing, it might be easy to reopen. So I applied online. I was denied, which I just attributed to my current kerfuffle with Sallie Mae.

The letter says: Thank you for your recent request for a credit card issued by Cap1. After reviewing your application and or information obtained from consumer credit reports, we have determined that we cannot grant your request for credit at this time.

The reasons for not approving your request are:

Based on the application information for __________, there are too many delinquent past or present Cap1 credit obligations.

WE based our decision strictly on a review of application information according to our credit guidelines. We did not request a copy of your credit file and therefore no inquiry will be placed on your credit report.

Sooooo...rechecked my reports, thinking maybe I'd lost my mind. Nope. No idea what they're talking about.

A: Apparently, they do blacklist.
B: I don't want a cap one anymore --happy with what I got, thankyouverymuch--but do I call them and find out wtf? Or do I not poke that hornets nest?

Message Edited by pjxf99 on 06-10-2008 06:26 AM
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: cap one blacklist

I would poke away. On the other hand you say you have no interest in their card, so why waste the time.

I would want to know. So I would call. I am just one of those people that dont like little mysteries hanging around and never knowing. There is always the possibility, after you call that you won't get a straight answer.

Its your call at the end of the day.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I *do* want to know.....I'm totally safe, right? I mean, ALL my reports, fako and fico, show this as an acct in good standing, closed by consumer request. There's no way they're going to pull a rabbit out of their hat and say, actually you owe us money we just made up?
Message 3 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I *do* want to know.....I'm totally safe, right? I mean, ALL my reports, fako and fico, show this as an acct in good standing, closed by consumer request. There's no way they're going to pull a rabbit out of their hat and say, actually you owe us money we just made up?

Something similar to this happened when I applied for a Macy's card. It said I was blacklisted for a previous delinquency with them. I have never had any account with the bank they listed (I forget the name), so I called in to satisfy my curiosity.

It turns out they had me confused with another customer of the same name in Texas. My name is fairly common, so I reckon it's bound to happen at some point.

When all that was cleared up, I got denied for too many inquiries. Ha.
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats IRONY for ya!!! Smiley Happy

I would go for it! As far as things appear, I can's see why anything negative would happen. Knowledge is power and it may just be a minor mixup like happened with FM.

Keep us posted.

Message Edited by gettintherequick on 06-09-2008 11:56 AM
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

FretlessMayhem wrote:

THAT's what will happen. "Oh, no, we denied you, we just put the wrong reason in the letter." Smiley Happy

I'll sleep on it, and decide tomorrow. *wanders off to see if there IS a capone card I actually would want*

Message Edited by pjxf99 on 06-09-2008 08:55 AM
Message 6 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

THAT's what will happen. "Oh, no, we denied you, we just put the wrong reason in the letter." Smiley Happy

AND you'll have a hard inq on each report.
Here we go again...
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

HOLY S***.

So I get someone on the phone, and they say "You have a delinquent acct with us for 901 dollars, from 1998. "

No, I really don't think I do. But they said everything in the computer looks like this was my account.She called it a charge off. Then she said she would connect me with someone to talk about repayment options. She came back and said that person was on another line, and that I could call back later.

Now what? What can they do, and what should I do?

Message Edited by pjxf99 on 06-10-2008 06:29 AM
Message 8 of 12
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
HOLY S***.
So I get someone on the phone, and they say "You have a delinquent acct with us for 901 dollars, from 1998. "
No, I really don't think I do. But they said everything in the computer looks like this was my account.She called it a charge off. Then she said she would connect me with someone to talk about repayment options. She came back and said that person was on another line, and that I could call back later.
Now what? What can they do, and what should I do?

Message Edited by pjxf99 on 06-10-2008 06:29 AM

I personally would just drop it altogether. It's beyond 7 years and any SOL, so I would just let them be if you are certain they are mistaken.
Here we go again...
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

She said it was included in a debt repayment, which I was in, but not until later. I swear on my life I've only ever had one Cap1 card, from 2002-05. I said why would this have never come up when I got the other one, and she said, "Oh, we would have let you have another one." But never mention that I owe them 900 some dollars?

It's past all reasonable limits for them to do anything, yes? (I'm in Virginia.)

Y'all excuse me while I go have a nervous breakdown.

Message Edited by pjxf99 on 06-10-2008 06:37 AM
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.