cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one is strange

tag
dtub20

capital one is strange

I just called to find out what the deal is with Cap One.  I was very polite.
Just inquired why I only have gone from limit of 500 to 550 in 4 years.
I rarely carry a balance and am almost always paid off in full.
It isn't even worth having the card...  you cannot rent a hotel room for  a week or rent a car.
It is bull.   I had to use it once when my Bank of Amer card had expired and I hadn't received my new one yet (limit was just raised from 4000 to 6000 without my asking) 

To make a long story short, they directed me to a number where they wanted me to apply for a new card.   I said I didn't want a new card unless they could date it for 4 years ago and not put a hard inquiry on my report.   They couldn't guarantee that so I thanked them and said I did not need 2 cards from one issuer and that I appreciated their help and honesty, but I will get my next card from another company.   Should I get another one of their cards or have them pound sand and get a card from a real company?   Just want an alternate card with good cli.
Any advice?

tu 698, equif 711, exp 726

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: capital one is strange

Sometimes it's just best to put a company out to pasture if they won't deal with you.

Providian (WaMu) lost my business in 2006 when they wouldn't budge with written requests on the interest rate of my card, which was in the mid-twenties, even though I had solid FICO scores and an excellent payment history with them.

That was compared to US Bank which moved my (I believe) 14.99% variable rate down to 1.9% variable on a simple email request.

Considering the low credit limit, I would just let it sit there and build account history. Just make sure every few months you charge a soda or something so they don't shut the account down.

Message Edited by jessep28 on 07-24-2008 03:04 PM
Message 2 of 10
dtub20

Thanks.   Just use it as a charge card... occasional dinner or beers and tank of gas.  Although, the way that is going, it may not be enough for gas.  Just charge my score watch to it.

Any recommendations on other cards?   Have to apply for corporate amex so my utilization will go from 30 percent to practically zero overnight.  Just want a good card as backup for Bank of America or vice versa

Message 3 of 10
hbmcracer
Valued Member

JUST SAY NO!!!!  TO CAPITAL ONE!!!!   All they want are your fees when you have a misfortune.  They don't care about their customers at all.
7-24-08 EQ 537
8-20-08 EQ 568
5-13-09 EQ 606
10-18-10 TU 633
12-20-11 TU 671
Message 4 of 10
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Go for a Citi or a Chase card. It appears you have outgrown this side of Capital One.
Message 5 of 10
dtub20

any difference between visa or MC with chase or citi?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CapOne has been good to me. I had a charge that brought me $2 dollars over my limit and they refunded the fee.

Then I forgot to pay my bill (about 6 months later) on the same card - the finance charge added took me  few dollars over the limit (so I had a late fee and over the limit fee). They refunded BOTH of those and  the missed payment never showed up on my credit report.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:24 PM
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i started out with 200 with security and a/f.  I now have 5100 no a/f and they sent back my deposit. It did take awhile.  Many times I thought about closing.  Glad I didn't. Did you try the backdoor number? 
I have a CCCU card which is pretty awesome.  You could try that.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

siangirl34 wrote:
CapOne has been good to me. I had a charge that brought me $2 dollars over my limit and they refunded the fee.

Then I forgot to pay my bill (about 6 months later) on the same card - the finance charge added took me  few dollars over the limit (so I had a late fee and over the limit fee). They refunded BOTH of those and  the missed payment never showed up on my credit report.

Message Edited by siangirl34 on 07-26-2008 12:24 PM

That is great that you have good history with them. It is important to note that a late payment won't be reported to the bureaus unless they are 30 days late. It is nice that they waived the finance charge and over limit fees though.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a department store card that I got about 12 years ago. My current limit is $250. I've inquired and they said that about 10 years ago they raised my limit to around $1000 but since I never used it anywhere near that amount, they lowered it back down to $250.

Maybe that's what's going on here?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.