cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one. the most annoying credit card company.

tag
legacys7
Regular Contributor

capital one. the most annoying credit card company.

i get at least 2 letters a week from them wanting me to apply for a credit card. after several months of this, i decided to apply online. out of curiosity, i had called, seeing that i didn't get an instant reply. long story short, they want me to send them a copy of my yearly w2 form to prove my income. can't say what i had to on the phone on here. but the long story short to that, i told them to take my name off of their mailing list. i never had this problem with any of my credit cards. 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: capital one. the most annoying credit card company.

Just out of curiousity which catd did u app for that they are asking for w2?

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 32
teachag89
Established Member

Email your complaints to the Executive Office.  You will get MUCH better customer service and you will probably have better results!

Message 3 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@djc1puno wrote:
Just out of curiousity which catd did u app for that they are asking for w2?

it was both a mastercard that they constantly send me. and a sony credit card  that i had applied for on my own.

Message 4 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@teachag89 wrote:

Email your complaints to the Executive Office.  You will get MUCH better customer service and you will probably have better results!

i think that i will do just hat.

Message 5 of 32
fargobzn
Contributor

Wow, I don't think Capital One even asked for the name of my employer when I was approved for my cash rewards card. I would definitely talk to the EO about it like others have said. 

Message 6 of 32
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I doubt contacting the executive office will do anything. The analysts want proof of income and I wouldn't think the executive office would be able to change that. There are many lenders who ask for proof of income, not just Capital One.

Message 7 of 32
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Really? They wanted your w2, I would have send them some used toilet paper, I mean never in my life someone asked me for my w2 for a cc application. Anyways if I got to go the extra mile for them to give me fair costumer service, I thought that beeing a customer I shoudl at least deserve that. In my experiance Crap1 is not worth it. The only situation you'll want them is to build your credit and then cancel it as soon as you get another bank that has customer service, and you don't have to mail the CEO.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 8 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm not sure how this is any different than having to provide pay stubs to verify income. NFCU is known to ask for pay stubs. If you are unwilling to document your income, that is your choice but asking a lender to waive that requirement because they have sent you marketing probably will not end with the response you want.
Message 9 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I'm not sure how this is any different than having to provide pay stubs to verify income. NFCU is known to ask for pay stubs. If you are unwilling to document your income, that is your choice but asking a lender to waive that requirement because they have sent you marketing probably will not end with the response you want.

Okay. But if you're going ask for something, let's keep it consistent with all of your customers. In a nutshell, the lady that I'd spoken to on the phone lied. I'd asked her their reason because I didn't understand this  She'd stated it's their poilicy. I'd asked do this particular policy apply to all customers that apply for credit cards through them. She tells me yes, and I'd explained to her that what she is telling me isn't true at all because I know others that have a card through them and they didn't have to go through this. Suddenly she gets tongue tied. Giving a pay stub vs a w2 form to prove your annual income are two different things. I've done the pay stub in the past confirming that I actually do work. 

My other purpose for calling too is because when I'd applied for a Sony Visa last year, turns out Capital One is their bank and they wanted the same thing. I don't want to not have any surprises from a company who use Capital One for their bank use. 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.