cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one. the most annoying credit card company.

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

Re: capital one. the most annoying credit card company.

Don't think this happens very often with Cap1...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 11 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

Don't think this happens very often with Cap1...

That's what I was told too.

Message 12 of 32
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@legacys7 wrote:

Okay. But if you're going ask for something, let's keep it consistent with all of your customers. 

Not going to happen.  Customers don't all have identical history or credit.  Some will require additional verification.

Message 13 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@legacys7 wrote:

Okay. But if you're going ask for something, let's keep it consistent with all of your customers. 

Not going to happen.  Customers don't all have identical history or credit.  Some will require additional verification.

Well let's put my post back in context. She clearly pointed out that they do this with every customer. But after I'd told her that what she says is not true because I know a few Capital 1 card owners that didn't have to do this, she changed her position. For the record, history and credit wasn't part of the discussion or equation. According to them, my credit hadn't been pulled yet. 

Message 14 of 32
zyzzus
Established Contributor

I truly grow tired of these posts about capital one. 

My card grew with them (via the Executive Office) to the point now I believe it to be a prime card.  No Forex and 1.5% on everything.  

Having a lender extend you credit may require verification of what you allege to be true whether it be identity address or income.

Capital One Quicksilver- $5,400 | Chase Freedom - $8,000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited- $13,000 | Chase Amazon -$5,000 | Priceline Visa -$10,000 | US Bank Cash+ - $18,200 | Fidelity Visa -$10,000 | Sallie Mae- $10,000  | DCU Platinum $12,000 | Discover IT - $10,000 | Amex EveryDay - $25,000  | Amex BlueCash Everyday- $9,800 | Citi DoubleCash - $18,000 | Sapphire Preferred- $13,000 Freedom Unlimited$7,000 Blispay$12,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve- $18,000 | Consumers Credit Union Visa Sig Cash Rebate$25,000

Message 15 of 32
sdotlow
Established Member

@zyzzus wrote:

My card grew with them (via the Executive Office) to the point now I believe it to be a prime card.  No Forex and 1.5% on everything.  

Having a lender extend you credit may require verification of what you allege to be true whether it be identity address or income.

Capital One has a real shoddy track record for their customer service.  I rarely, if ever, see anything written in a positive light.  I've experienced it numerous times over the past 6-7 years, both through a checking account and multiple credit cards.  And I'm talking Comcast level, bad CS here.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them.  Your good experience doesn't negate a large number of people having bad ones though.

Amex CS scores - EX-745 / EQ-745 / TU-767 (6/28/13)
BankAmericard Cash Rewards - 10k, MAFCU Visa Rewards - 10k, Chase Freedom - 2500, Discover IT - 2000, Barclay Apple - 2000, AMEX BCE - 2000
Gardening as of 6/28/13
Message 16 of 32
Datx
Valued Contributor

I'm not sure why people get turned off when a CC company asks for proof of income. Yes, there are other companies that will instantly approve you and no ask for anything. Diff companies,  diff rules. If you want the card, and been hit with a inquiry, might as well put in a little effort and send them what they are asking for. Citi asked me to mail in my proof of residence and wanted all kinds of bills or paperwork showing my current address. Right when I found that out, I printed everything and more and had it in the mail the same day.

Message 17 of 32
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@zyzzus wrote:

I reckon it's just jumping on the bandwagon of Capital One hate; the same as calling it "Crapital One". A lot of the people complaining about Capital One have less than perfect credit, and should be glad Capital One gave them a chance in the first place. I don't know anything about their credit card side because I do not have a card through them, but they do give high limits to people who qualify for them. You can't expect the best when your credit is nowhere near it. Multiple people will bend over backwards to keep American Express happy, to the point of living in fear to not make them upset. Capital One asks for income one time and everyone is against it.

Message 18 of 32
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@zyzzus wrote:

I reckon it's just jumping on the bandwagon of Capital One hate; the same as calling it "Crapital One". A lot of the people complaining about Capital One have less than perfect credit, and should be glad Capital One gave them a chance in the first place. I don't know anything about their credit card side because I do not have a card through them, but they do give high limits to people who qualify for them. You can't expect the best when your credit is nowhere near it. Multiple people will bend over backwards to keep American Express happy, to the point of living in fear to not make them upset. Capital One asks for income one time and everyone is against it.

Gotta love the White Knight posters that come to the rescue with major assumptions. Where in my post did I state that my credit was bad? Cap. 1 didn't pull my report. I'd made that point in my post. LEt's not add things to my or other's post unless we make that clear that it;s exactly the case. And let's not also make the assumption that Cap. 1 or like c.c. are doing us a favor when many of them have a "negative" history themselves. And as you've pointed out, you don't have a credit card from them. That equates to, you don't have a clue of the dynamics of the company, due to lack of experience with them on your part. Now that we got that part out of the way, let's try to stay focused and get back on track here. It was cleary pointed out after my initial question on here that Cap. 1 didn't ask for a w2 or 1040 from other owners of the card. I'd took the advice from a few who actually do own the card. Turns out that the women lied on the phone. That point was made on here that she said all aplicants had to do what I'm obligated to do. When I'd told her that this was not the case because I know some owners of the card that didn't, she got tongue tied and back paddled.  

Message 19 of 32
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@legacys7 wrote:

Gotta love the White Knight posters that come to the rescue with major assumptions. Where in my post did I state that my credit was bad? Cap. 1 didn't pull my report. I'd made that point in my post. LEt's not add things to my or other's post unless we make that clear that it;s exactly the case. And let's not also make the assumption that Cap. 1 or like c.c. are doing us a favor when many of them have a "negative" history themselves. And as you've pointed out, you don't have a credit card from them. That equates to, you don't have a clue of the dynamics of the company, due to lack of experience with them on your part. Now that we got that part out of the way, let's try to stay focused and get back on track here. It was cleary pointed out after my initial question on here that Cap. 1 didn't ask for a w2 or 1040 from other owners of the card. I'd took the advice from a few who actually do own the card. Turns out that the women lied on the phone. That point was made on here that she said all aplicants had to do what I'm obligated to do. When I'd told her that this was not the case because I know some owners of the card that didn't, she got tongue tied and back paddled.  

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I wasn't saying that you had bad credit. However, most of the people who have a low limit Capital One card here do not have perfect credit. Not having their card does not mean no experience with them. My aunt and dad both have Capital One cards with high limits and great customer service; I just do not have any experience with them managing something in my name. It doesn't matter if the lender has a negative history or not, it's their money they are lending to you, so yes they are doing you a favor.

I am not sure why you are so hung up on the fact of not everyone needing to provide proof of income. Maybe the woman thought everyone did go through this process or maybe she was lying, what does it matter? Any lender at any time has the right to request proof of income from someone that is asking for money. That's the same as getting upset that you were declined with ten inquiries and someone else with ten was approved. Everyone is different and will go through different procedures to get approved. Credit unions will usually ask for proof of income, but there are some people who get approved without having to provide it. Search here and on other credit forums and you will find a plethora of threads with people saying they were asked for some type of income document. If you want the card you can send them what they ask, or you won't get it.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.