Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one venture restriction

tag
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

capital one venture restriction

just started using the card, figured id put my everyday expenses on it gas grocerices pharmacy and today when i checked my accouts just to see what my tab was i noticed i had a account restriction on the new acct, i immediatly called in they verified my home phone, had me hang up and call back and verify my purchases, the whole process took maybe 5 min. and the restriction was immediatly lifted. whew!!! im imagining what if i was doing other things like on vacation major embarassing

C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: capital one venture restriction

Yeah, CAP 1 has been doing that for a while.  They do it mostly when your charge declines in the store also.  I was on edge once in a long line and the card decline at check out. When I called, they thought it was fraud and I had to hang up for them to call me back.

Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, CAP 1 has been doing that for a while.  They do it mostly when your charge declines in the store also.  I was on edge once in a long line and the card decline at check out. When I called, they thought it was fraud and I had to hang up for them to call me back.

Wow... this is surprising to hear.  In my case Capital One has never even flinched, even when they have the right to.  I've shopped at a grocery store at 2AM at a store hundreds of miles away from my billing address, and I actually expected to have to call them but it worked - just like it always does.

I also recently made my an international purchase over the internet for the first time with my Capital One card; I chatted with them to let them know I was about to make the purchase, and the CSR acted confused as to why I was even bringing it up.  The int'l charge was approved, and I've used my card for small overseas purchases several times since then, all without calling and each time it's been approved.

USAA, on the other hand... is a different story.  I really, really like them, but for better or worse, their security is a bit more tight.  Actually, my Capital One card is my go-to if there is ever an issue with my USAA account, since I'm usually not in the mood to call the bank when I'm at the register if I have another card I know will work.

Message 3 of 5
happypill
Valued Contributor

Not too surprising for a new card, regardless of issuer.  Once Capital one figures out your spending pattern you'll be go to go.  I use my Venture as my everyday card, and used my Cap One business card the same way prior to that.  I have charges all times of day or night all around the country including charges up to 95% of limit in one shot and have never had a decline.  I'd definitely alert them prior to any international travel, but for domestic charges, never a problem.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use my home address in New Jersey for all my accounts, however, I work in Minneapolis, MN / Sioux City IA / Aberdeen, SD / Superior, WI / Fargo, ND, and several other cities and states. I've opened close to ten new accounts this year alone and use my cards at all hours of the day and night. I was expecting major issues and security holds but haven't experienced not a one. I assume it's because I make several payments throughout the month on each card I use. I always make sure they all are PIF, less one account, prior to statements being cut. So I guess they must see these transactions, than see payments, and know it's not fraud and I'm all over the place. While I've never come close to a max CL purchase, I do have purchases for 1K - 2K on 5K CL card's. I use cards from Cap One, Chase, Amex, SDFCU, Wells Fargo, USAA, and US Bank without having a single issue.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.