Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

capital one very annoying

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

capital one very annoying

I have nothing against capital1, I have had a secured card with a $1,000 credit line with them for a year and 4 months now.  I recently tried to get it unsecured but they said they didnt do that, that I had to apply for a new card. ok cool... I went online to apply and got the 7-10 day message. I got a letter in the mail saying I had to fax #1- proof of ssn # and #2-proof of address... even though this doesnt make sense because I already have a card with them I faxed it. a week later I called to check the status & everytime I try to talk someone with a heavy accent keeps saying yeah, yes, yeah, ok... cutting me off? all im doing is checking the status. they said no need to worry to not re-fax it becuase they recived it but it take 5-10 days to get a response. ok.

called back 8 days later, was asked what I faxed in... I told them... they said ok that they recieved it I didnt have to re-fax (then why do they have no clue what I faxed in?) I asked them for a fax# because ill fax it again and they said no need to that the notes verified during my last call I had the correct fax # and they will indeed recieve it.

3 weeks later....... I get a letter in the mail saying I have 20 days to fax or mail the stuff in or else my application will be considered withdrawn? I was so mad.. I asked on 4 different occasions did they want me to refax it because I didnt want to wait 3 week then have to refax it again. I called up & was told I would have to refax it. then wait 3 addition weeks for it to process. I asked how would I know it yous recieve it so I dont have to wait... they insisted again that if I faxed it to the 1866 # that they will indeed recieve it

GET THIS....................... Smiley Very Happy LOL.......... i called yesteday (didnt fax it again yet) and asked if they recieved it & they said yes. then they replied like last time "what did you fax"? I told them & they said they did indeed recieve my fax & to wait 3 weeks. I hung up laughing.. very bad customer service

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: capital one very annoying

Call a back door number and I would keep asking for US call center or supervisor until you get someone that knows what they are doing and how to do it.

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's crazy!!!! I hope that I don't get treated like that in a year or so cause if I do I'll just cancel and try somewhre like citibank or chase or somewhere else. It's my first cc so I don't think it'll matter if I cancel and get a Prime.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, sounds like an extremely frustrating ordeal - I hope in the end you get approved for all the trouble you went through.  Good luck

Message 4 of 18
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You should pull a credit report. For Cap 1 to ask proof of SSN/address means they cannot verify your identity.

Message 5 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

All of that could've been resolved with one call to the direct number to their U.S. Senior Account Managers Escalations department (I had it added to the backdoor list) who deep-dives into issues such as this. 

Also, Capital One and many other lending institutions require applicants, even if you're a current card holder, to submit proof of identity.  Capital One has zero-tolerance for Identity Theft, so even if you're an existing customer, they don't know if it's really you applying for a second credit card with them.  Just an additional note about Capital One, if you travel more than 250 miles from your home without notifying them first, they will decline purchases and even suspend your card until they call you to confirm your identity.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have nothing against capital1, I have had a secured card with a $1,000 credit line with them for a year and 4 months now.  I recently tried to get it unsecured but they said they didnt do that, that I had to apply for a new card. ok cool... I went online to apply and got the 7-10 day message. I got a letter in the mail saying I had to fax #1- proof of ssn # and #2-proof of address... even though this doesnt make sense because I already have a card with them I faxed it. a week later I called to check the status & everytime I try to talk someone with a heavy accent keeps saying yeah, yes, yeah, ok... cutting me off? all im doing is checking the status. they said no need to worry to not re-fax it becuase they recived it but it take 5-10 days to get a response. ok.

called back 8 days later, was asked what I faxed in... I told them... they said ok that they recieved it I didnt have to re-fax (then why do they have no clue what I faxed in?) I asked them for a fax# because ill fax it again and they said no need to that the notes verified during my last call I had the correct fax # and they will indeed recieve it.

3 weeks later....... I get a letter in the mail saying I have 20 days to fax or mail the stuff in or else my application will be considered withdrawn? I was so mad.. I asked on 4 different occasions did they want me to refax it because I didnt want to wait 3 week then have to refax it again. I called up & was told I would have to refax it. then wait 3 addition weeks for it to process. I asked how would I know it yous recieve it so I dont have to wait... they insisted again that if I faxed it to the 1866 # that they will indeed recieve it

GET THIS....................... Smiley Very Happy LOL.......... i called yesteday (didnt fax it again yet) and asked if they recieved it & they said yes. then they replied like last time "what did you fax"? I told them & they said they did indeed recieve my fax & to wait 3 weeks. I hung up laughing.. very bad customer service

Wait a minute...Since when is this?  Haven't I been reading about other people on this board getting theirs unsecured, or are they just getting unsecured increases?

Message 7 of 18
texasman07
Established Contributor

Okay well here was my experience. Sorry yours was so bad. I have had my Cap 1 secured applied in Sep 2010 and had to put 200.00$ deposit. One month later I got pre approval for Rewards No hassel. Applied and got approved. 500.00$ credit steps to 750 then 1000. I called last month about my secured card. they said I am doing fantastcik. Using it and PIF when I can.....They said keep doing what your doing and they will unsecure and return my deposit. The first time I called the rep told me no that they would never unsecure. I called the back door number and he said that is not true. They review accounts and Im doing what I am suppose to be doing. a lie or not? who knows but I keep my habits up and it will pay off....good luck!!!!

Message 8 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

After 10 years with them, I  let them go a few months ago.  Their reps  wasn't professional enough for me to conversate with them.  One time a rep told me my Platinum Rewards card was a Kmart card the reason why I was not getting CLIs with them.  That was funny!!

Message 9 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

It's easy to get paid from Capital One for receiving incorrect information from their very own Escalations department.  Now, I know what "Gift Credit" for my inconvenience means. Smiley Wink  Cha-chiiiiiiing!!!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.