Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

card closed for fraud and reissued

tag
red259
Super Contributor

card closed for fraud and reissued

when a card is closed for fraud and a new card with different number is issued how does this impact my credit report. Does it appear as an account being closed and a new one being opened or is it the same account with just the number changed?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: card closed for fraud and reissued

@red259 wrote:

when a card is closed for fraud and a new card with different number is issued how does this impact my credit report. Does it appear as an account being closed and a new one being opened or is it the same account with just the number changed?

New account that kills your old one.  Totally destroys your AAOA.

j/k - same account with new number

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

no its just a new card number. 

this happened to me with my csp someone used it for an online purchase of $200 which was declined by chase. either way i called to havve it canceled and let them know i didnt do that. they canceled the card and sent me new card overnight nothing else changed. just the card number 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha! 

Message 4 of 13
stellar
Established Contributor

I had my purse and all cards stolen years ago.  Had to cancel every card and issue new ones.  Each card showed up twice on my credit report.  One account said "card lost or stolen".  They each had different dates of opening.  

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a couple on my report that say lost/stolen and the new account is a different listing.

Message 6 of 13
red259
Super Contributor

@stellar wrote:

I had my purse and all cards stolen years ago.  Had to cancel every card and issue new ones.  Each card showed up twice on my credit report.  One account said "card lost or stolen".  They each had different dates of opening.  

I wonder if having the card reported twice like that somehow helps with fico scoring even a little bit, like if you had an extra account. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

LMAO, wouldn't that be something. I'd be vehemently angry.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@stellar wrote:

I wonder if having the card reported twice like that somehow helps with fico scoring even a little bit, like if you had an extra account. 

I doubt it, we'd have people reporting cards stolen left and right just to get the double account credit for each account, lol.

Message 9 of 13
Lyythine
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Unless its USAA... The one time my USAA card had some fraud, they shut down the card and when they re-issued, it showed up as a whole new trade-line.  

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.