Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

card expiration

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

card expiration

I am concerened about what happens when a card expires. I have a couple cards that are to expire next year. My concern is do they send a live card to you? or do you have to activate it? I asume it has the same account number so how does that work? I just dont want active cards send to me. (because of theft). Thank you!

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
dalebb
Valued Contributor

Re: card expiration

u have to activate from the phone on record with them

Message 2 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

They send you a card with account # identical to your current card, only it has a new expiration date.    It is not activated until you get it and call in.

If someone were to intercept it, they would have to know all of your personal information to activate and use it.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

OK that makes me feel better. Thanks.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 4 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

They send you a card with account # identical to your current card, only it has a new expiration date.    It is not activated until you get it and call in.

If someone were to intercept it, they would have to know all of your personal information to activate and use it.

Also even if they did activate some how you should not be personally liable for any charges

Message 5 of 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

RE:Also even if they did activate some how you should not be personally liable for any charges

Thats what I am worried about. I had a card 10 years ago that was active in the mail and it arrived in someone elses inbox. They charged it up and it was a mess getting that taken care off. Why would any card company send an active card in the US mail I do not understand.

Message 6 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

They have made changes to the process to alleviate situations like what happened to you.   Not that it doesn't happen anymore, but I suspect that most CC fraud that occurs today is done by people with some relationship to the victim, such that they have personal knowledge of address, phone numbers, etc...

It is much more unlikely that your card would be taken and used fraudulently by a random person, and as has been mentioned, you wouldn't be liable.

Message 7 of 15
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I am just worried about it going to another house. I am the only person in this household. But I'm sure it will be ok.

Message 8 of 15
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jeffery581 wrote:

I am just worried about it going to another house. I am the only person in this household. But I'm sure it will be ok.

Why is that - do you have a lot of issues with your mail service ?    You should receive your new card several weeks, maybe a month before the old one expires.  

If the card hasn't shown up just give them a call...

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in an apartment complex so all the mailboxes are on one wall labeled Apt 1, 2, 3, etc

I occasionally get mail intended for my neighbors since we all have the same address but different apartment numbers. I just move it to the appropriate box.

I have all my statements and everything emailed to me so I don't get much physical mail. When my credit cards are sent though I have to hold my breath a little hoping that it is put in the right box. Always worries me a little bit.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.