Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

card for balance transfer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

card for balance transfer

can i find out how much credit i will be approved for before accepting the credit card?  I wouldn't want the card if it isnt significant enough for a balance transfer?   Should i tell the person how much i am asking for?   Will it benefit or hurt me?

Thanks

need help

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: card for balance transfer

I would like to know too. I was afraid of getting greedy when I asked for my DM BT total.  I was afraid that if I asked for too much they might deny the whole thing. I looked at my highest CL ($14200) and settled on less than half. Also I had seen other peoples posts where they were approved in that range so I knew DM did that. 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is really no way to find out what line of credit a lender will extend to you until you submit an application, and if you're approved you can then ask what your line of credit will be, once you submit the app and if you're approved, you are basically stuck with it, you can either activate the card once it arrives to you or you can choose to not activate it, either way, that new TL will be listed on your reports. It will not matter if you tell the rep who is taking your app that you want to do a BT and for XXX amount, your creditworthiness will determine your credit limit among several different factors listed in your credit reports, such as util, accounts with balances, length of credit history and so on. There is one thing you can do tho, if approved for the card, you can do what's called a recon, You can simply call back the credit card company and explain that you were just approved for their card and you wanted to do a BT but the credit line is not enough, and sometimes they will manually review your report and bump your credit limit up some to help accommodate your request. (((Just wanted to note that myFICO had done routine maintenance and there seems to be several quirks with the board now, such as the "Line Break" is not working amongst several other problems, so that is why my reply is lumped into one big sentence, and the "Options" feature is not working either, so I can not edit my post to correct the lumping of my reply)))
Message 3 of 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

can i find out how much credit i will be approved for before accepting the credit card?  I wouldn't want the card if it isnt significant enough for a balance transfer?   Should i tell the person how much i am asking for?   Will it benefit or hurt me?

Thanks

need help

More than likely you won't be able to know because it is a computer-generated response, but you can always recon if you feel your credit is worth more.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.