Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

care credit questions

tag
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

care credit questions

I've got several questions

Is there any pros to using care credit vs a regular credit card?

Is it fairly "easy" to get approved?

Will they approve with collections?

Anyone approved know your scores at app time?

Will they approve with unpaid collection(s)?

Who do they typically pull?

I think that's it!
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Re: care credit questions

I got approved with them when i was rebuilding and did have collections sitting out there.   They have high interest rates tho.  But they do offer things like 6 mos or 12 mos no interest if paid in full.  I had an initial credit limit of like 2k and when one of my Choc labs had an emergency, they did up the CL to like 4200.  I think they are run by GE bank, im not sure.  USE with CARE tho. 

Hope that helps some

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 2 of 9
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

They are a tricky card to use! I've never had a problem with them, but lots of people have. Pay careful attention to promo ending dates. If you go over the 6 months promo financing, ALL the financing that was accrued from the beginning gets put on the account. Make sure your last payment is paid early. I don't think they are very picky, my husband got one when he was just building credit and it was his highest limit for a long time.

I've found them helpful for veterinary emergencies. My old dog just ran up $300 at the vet with a particularly stubborn ear infection. But I'll pay it off well before I owe interest on it. Granted, lot's of cards offer 0% on introductory purchases that are really 0% with no tricky accrual. At my vet though, anytime you spend over $199 with carecredit it's 6 months at 0%. It's easy for me to use and pay off before paying interest. Meh, I don't mind them at all. They are pretty generous with limits. I included them in bankruptcy and 5 years later have a $2000 limit with them without asking for a CLI.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They pull TU

low 600's usually will start to get you approved depending what else is going on

if you don't need the 0% no interest period than you are loosing out rewards using a regular credit card

Message 4 of 9
SusieQ
Regular Contributor

as others state here, they aren't very difficult to get.    BUT, they have high APR.    I still have mine from 2002 with a line of $6000.   Comes in handy for vet emergencies or dental - put it on 0% and pay it off.

Message 5 of 9
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I got mine a year ago shortly after BK13 discharge. No collections or baddies other than the 13 itself.

TU score was 630s... Requested $7500 because I didn't want to ever have to ask for a CLI... (It is GESynchronocreditlimitincrease after all and it would be a HP) and was approved.

I've used it for vet expenses and some dermatologist 0% stuff with a plan to use it for future dental work.  It pads the UTI too.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 9
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

I think it depends on your profile, 

My dad apped for CC , he has 58K income, 6 accounts in good standing, 3 he is an AU on and 3 are his.  3 of those accounts are over 5K, AAOA over 2 years now, and 2 INQ on TU.  Req 15K, they gave him 1K.  Called in within 3 days and they upped his line to 1300, so 300 increase.  No good for major dental work, which was the purpose of the Req.  TU CK Score 660.  Profile,Sears Mastercard,JCP,BOA AAA Visa Siggy,Usaa Mastercard,Toys R Us, Chevron.  2 PIF Tax Liens, supposed to have fallen off in June 2014, they will need to be disputed off as of now.  100% On Time Payments

DH apped, Req 15K got 13,200 income 44K, TU CK score 725, AAOA 1.5 yr, 18 accounts in good standing, 5 closed, He lost 1 point for the INQ from CC.  He had 8 INQ on TU at time of app.  100 % On Time Payments. No derogs of any kind.  

SO , I think it all depends on the profile.  

They will go all the way to 24 month 0% APR(This depends on the provider you see as to what they offer), just make sure you space it out to get it all pif by the due date.  its a good emergency card with good options, if you get to where you almost get it paid off but have some left over id suggest BT'ing it to a card that gives you 0% apr BT offer, several months before its due, that way you will avoid the point of sale interest charges that come from not paying in full by then.  its on your statements, make sure and get paper copies of the statements and file them every month make sure your payments are being applied appropriately.  You will be fine. 

Good Luck.  

Message 7 of 9
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

This is good info you guys thanks.

If they pull TU not sure how well that will go. Last I knew low score & 6 collections.

I see some advantage to having it. I Didn't realize you could have possible 0% on future expenses.

I briefly glanced at the pamphlet. This is for dental work (dentist are mad expensive!) insurance covers 90% which still leaves $700. Looking at the chart it says they offer 12 months no intent $59 a month payment. I think he'd probably pay more than that anyway. I'm just paranoid about these no interest of paid in full by x amount of time sort of thing vs true no interest.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MoreRewards wrote:
This is good info you guys thanks.

If they pull TU not sure how well that will go. Last I knew low score & 6 collections.

I see some advantage to having it. I Didn't realize you could have possible 0% on future expenses.

I briefly glanced at the pamphlet. This is for dental work (dentist are mad expensive!) insurance covers 90% which still leaves $700. Looking at the chart it says they offer 12 months no intent $59 a month payment. I think he'd probably pay more than that anyway. I'm just paranoid about these no interest of paid in full by x amount of time sort of thing vs true no interest.

HISTORY:

My hearing aid cost $3,000 and of course that's all they gave me and i said no because then that would be maxing it out so suprisely they increased it to $5,500 with a soft pull. I paid it all off in 3 months instead of 36 ? in case i lost my job or something i liked that i could just pay $90 a month instead but wasn't necessary so once i paid it off i requested an increased and was given $12,000 with a hard pull. I figured it would help me obtain better credit. I left it alone and now 14 months later *sighs* they've slashed - $6,000 and wont reinstate it back to $12,000 without another hard inquiry.

I told them ''you already gave me a hard inquiry last time for $12,000. They made me so mad threatening to ruin my ratio right when i was about to start digging for credit limit increases just in time for black friday (best time to get it) so before they reported my credit limit decrease (while my score is still up) i went and hurry to get my other ''soft pull'' cards increased. They pissed me off. Telling me ''due to insuffficient use.'' I use it but not right now! ****Now i don't want to use it because i don't want another hard inquiry just to take advantage of their payment plans without going over 50% of my limit. I might as well just pay cash or pay 800% more than i have to pay each month like i did with the hearing aid. Useless. 

in the mean time i've saved my *** 

CARECREDIT $12,000 to $6,000 
AMAZON $2,500 to $5,000 
WALMART $3,500 to $5,000 
PAYPAL EXTRAS $6,500 to $8,000 

all on the same day Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.