Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

carrying credit card balances

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

carrying credit card balances

Other than PIF each month what is a reasonable amount CCC like to see paid on accounts with a balance to prevent AA and still be eligible for CLI's?  I know there is always the option to pay minimal payments but say you are carrying a $1,000 bal on a CL of  $8,000 what would be considered a good payment; or does it matter with the CCC since they are making money off of interest.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: carrying credit card balances

10x the minimum payment seems to work for me, but only on 0% cards.  If it means paying interest, I'll make the full payment and risk AA.  So far no issues.  Like everything, ymmv.

Message 2 of 17
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

You will usually be safe when you pay twice the minimum required. 

The minimum payment is usually a very small fraction of the outstanding balance, and I believe the CCC has learned to keep an eye on those who are carrying high utilization, and only making the bare minimum payments.  That is a danger sign that the customer is probably struggling.

For that reason, until you can make more substantial reductions to your balance - send twice the required payment.  It's still a small amount, and will keep the computers happy, knowing that you are a reliable customer.

Message 3 of 17
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

I have read 3x minimum payment and I have read 10% of the balance being carried.  So maybe somewhere in the middle of that might be good.  

Message 4 of 17
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@capitalkid wrote:

I have read 3x minimum payment and I have read 10% of the balance being carried.  So maybe somewhere in the middle of that might be good.  

I've seen the 3X minimum in a few places and that seems reasonable; I don't mind carrying a small balance for a while after all to me that's what a credit card is for. 

Message 5 of 17
Stralem
Established Contributor

Twice the minimum is a good guideline to go by if you can't pay in full by choice or circumstance.

For parked balances sitting on 0% cards (balance transfers, basically), I try to do more than that. But if I'm expecting a windfall, I'll just do twice the minimum and make up for the smaller payments with a larger lump sum payment. So far, no complaints from the CC companies.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 6 of 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I have 6 credit cards. I have never paid a cent of interest on any of these cards. I have received a CLI on every card except for Chase (they use HPs for CLI) and have never once received AA. Credit Card companies make money off of every purchase you make with the card, so carrying a balance and paying interest is not the only profit center here. My advice would be to NEVER carry a balance, go along your merry way, and say to hell with any company who can't deal with your way of doing business. There are many other fish in the sea. Plus, since the 6 cards in my wallet come from some of the most highly sought after card issuers, my guess is that most people would survive just fine and accomplish nearly all their credit goals following that advice.

Remember, long term financial health comes from minimizing debt (or at least using it opportunistically) rather than from using it to gain status. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 17
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

I have 6 credit cards. I have never paid a cent of interest on any of these cards. I have received a CLI on every card except for Chase (they use HPs for CLI) and have never once received AA. Credit Card companies make money off of every purchase you make with the card, so carrying a balance and paying interest is not the only profit center here. My advice would be to NEVER carry a balance, go along your merry way, and say to hell with any company who can't deal with your way of doing business. There are many other fish in the sea. Plus, since the 6 cards in my wallet come from some of the most highly sought after card issuers, my guess is that most people would survive just fine and accomplish nearly all their credit goals following that advice.

Remember, long term financial health comes from minimizing debt (or at least using it opportunistically) rather than from using it to gain status. 

+1

And certain CCCs like Amex for example, like to see people PIF.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 8 of 17
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

+1

use the credit cards like debit cards and get yourself the rewards Smiley Happy 

Message 9 of 17
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@lg8302ch wrote:

@SnackTrader wrote:

+1

use the credit cards like debit cards and get yourself the rewards Smiley Happy 

Where is the fun in that when you have 0% APR Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.