Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cash or credit in Ireland?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cash or credit in Ireland?

I have heard that customs agents are asking about how an overseas trip will be funded.  I planned to use three no FTF cards (discover, CSP and NFCU).  I didn't want to bring a lot of US currency on the week-long trip.  I was going to use a card at an ATM but maybe I shouldn't.  I haven't been out of the US since 2005.  The tour will be very busy and short.  Mostly singing and hostel-crashing.  

Any world travelers have any suggestions?  

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: cash or credit in Ireland?

I am British, and visit the UK and Ireland once a year as it is cheaper for me to fly into Ireland first.

I would advise using card ONLY but always have local currency on hand, some public transport will only take cash and coin as well as some small B&B's etc.

EDIT: They have never asked me how I fund my trips, going in or out of ANY country. And I travel a lot. Also, do not use your card at any ATM's the fees will be stupidly high.

Take USD to a travel agents in Ireland and they will give you the best currency exchange, do not do it at the airport because they will charge you more for doing it there.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Message 2 of 19
tacpoly
Established Contributor

I've never been asked how my trip was funded at passport control.  Usually they ask how long I'm staying and whether it's for business or pleasure.  If pleasure, we chat about my plans; if work they ask what I do. 

I usually land with very little money and take cash out at an airport ATM.  I use credit cards everywhere I can.  If you have Apple pay (or something similar) that works as well -- it's actually more convenient than a credit card. 

Of course, if you're going to a remote, not very well traveled, location have cash on hand. 

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am British, and visit the UK and Ireland once a year as it is cheaper for me to fly into Ireland first.

I would advise using card ONLY but always have local currency on hand, some public transport will only take cash and coin as well as some small B&B's etc.

EDIT: They have never asked me how I fund my trips, going in or out of ANY country. And I travel a lot. Also, do not use your card at any ATM's the fees will be stupidly high.

Take USD to a travel agents in Ireland and they will give you the best currency exchange, do not do it at the airport because they will charge you more for doing it there.

That really depends on OP's bank. If he has a Schwab debit card for instance it might actually be to his advantage to use ATMs there since the fees get reimbursed.

Message 4 of 19
Jarrodpd
Regular Contributor

I was there two years ago and had no issues using my then full chip and pin USAA mastercard, I was even out on the ring of kerry and stopped with my group for lunch and had no problems using a credit card. I would suggest maybe €50-100 just incase but you should be fine at most places.

USAA Platinum Mastercard: $8000
American Express HHonors no AF: $12000
American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL
American Express Platinum: NPSL
US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig: $5100|Chase Freedom: $7000|Chase Sapphire Reserve: $10000
Total combined CL:$42,100|Exp: 763(788Amex)|Equ: 759|Tu: 769 (04 May 2016)
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That really depends on OP's bank. If he has a Schwab debit card for instance it might actually be to his advantage to use ATMs there since the fees get reimbursed.

I mean the chances are, he doesn't have Schwab and will be charged by both his bank for the withdrawl and from the ATM he is withdrawing it from. If you are sure you will not be charged for this by either bank then sure, withdraw from an ATM. But I always utilize a travel agent for currency when abroad to avoid extra fees.

I keep a spare $50 in my wallet and this is usually enough to be exchanged, this is what I will be doing when visiting Ireland, England and Scotland in July.

95% of all charges will be charged to my CC's.

Message 6 of 19
driftless
Valued Contributor

No one asks how trips are funded. Use your cards and take out a little cash from an ATM after you land. Enjoy your trip.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
No one asks how trips are funded. Use your cards and take out a little cash from an ATM after you land. Enjoy your trip.

Message 8 of 19
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The ATMs (legit bank affiliated ones) I've used in the UK, France, Switzerland, Germany, and Italy have not charge any transaction fees.  Whatever fees one gets is usually on their bank's side (transaction fee, forex fee), but that really depends on the bank and your status. 

From personal experience:  Schwab has no fees at all, BofA partners with Barclays and RBS (two off the top of my head) so you won't get charged the high fees when you use them, Citibank has ATMs in various locations (and if you have the high level gold account, they waive fees), Chase will not charge fees for a private client (JPM private banking has international locations).

HSBC has lots of international branches and I imagine you can get preferred treatment when using those. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:
No one asks how trips are funded.

Depending on your passport stamps where you have traveled to lately.  I can think of a few countries that would throw up some flags if you visited recently.

But being that OP hasn't traveled out of the US since 2005, I'd say he's fine (unless he's been having Twitter chats with certain people in Syria Smiley Tongue)

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.