Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cc with best and worst customer service

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: cc with best and worst customer service

@longtimelurker wrote:

For me: rewards are #1.   I very rarely have to contact a credit card CSRs, so their quality would come WAY down my list of priorities.   

Right, far and away the most important are the rewards.  No amount of customer service or marketing will make up for a lackluster rewards program.

Message 41 of 49
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

For me: rewards are #1.   I very rarely have to contact a credit card CSRs, so their quality would come WAY down my list of priorities.   

Right, far and away the most important are the rewards.  No amount of customer service or marketing will make up for a lackluster rewards program.

I personally like to have the best of both worlds. I'm willing to give up a little bit in rewards for good to excellent customer service. Although I know that I can do better than 1.33% cash back, I'm not willing to deal with Cap1's customer service (the Quicksilver). I'm going to apply for the Barclaycard Arrival mostly for the 2.2% cash back at the end of the year since I've been happy with their customer service so far. Otherwise, I'd probably deal with the 1.33% (Blue Sky) for the customer service I get from AMEX.
 photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 42 of 49
Open123
Super Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:
I personally like to have the best of both worlds. 

Sure, this would be ideal.  Smiley Happy

However, if given a choice between "best in class rewards with crappy customer service" or "good rewards with great customer service," I'd choose the former every time.  When dealing with subpar and foreign CSRs, I'm a pretty understanding, patient, and tolerant person--if duly compensated.

*Edited*  PS - If they came up with, say, a 10% rewards card, but has only online access with no phone number to CSR, I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Message 43 of 49
brindle26
Regular Contributor

Best Amex

Worst WF & Capone

Message 44 of 49
twall06
Frequent Contributor

Worst is credit one by far one acct I wished my gf never opened. Had an issue with her card CSR could not resolve it told her  to speak with a supervisor and was denied .She was  told " There is no reason for you to speak to a supervisior is there anything else I can help you with?"  yes close the freaking card.

Message 45 of 49
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

So far I feel that I've received excellent service with my American Express. The CSRs have always been well spoken, polite, and helpful. I filed a Purchase Protection claim for an item that broke within days of purchase -- it was ceramic and slipped out of my DHs hands and hit the floor. I opened a PP claim over the phone, and the CSR took down all of the information and submitted the claim then and there. It was settled the following day and couldn't have been easier.

I also received good service with my Citi Diamond Preferred. When I went up to NYC a little over a year ago, I wanted to have dinner reservations for a particular restaurant. I was unable to book that date online through the restaurant's web portal, so I called the CDP conceirge service. The CSR was also well spoken, polite and helpful. She found out the reason that the date was unavailable -- the restaurant was booked for a corporate holiday party -- and offered me suggestions for alternatives. I found one of the alternatives to be acceptable and she made the arrangements. Again, it was an easy experience that ended in a helpful result.

As for my other cards, I haven't really had to do too much CSR interaction with them. For the most part, it's been use them, pay the bill, repeat. No complaints on my end.

Now as for bad customer service, we can talk about some of the rebuilder cards. First Premier was absolutely awful!!!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 46 of 49
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Ok fellas and ladies. Here's CreditMagic's nominations & not direct picks since it's only fair to cut some slack until concrete results are in from more experiences.

So far......

Disappointments:

US Bank-Their CSR's need to mingle outside with the common public more and lighten up some. No mean attitudes just "in the ozone a lot" Smiley Happy

Discover: Quite a lot of correspondences with Arizona & Salt Lake City CSR's. Polite sometimes, sometimes stubborn minded. Ugh. I detest being corrected when i have facts right before my eyes and forced to do the "Gotcha" thing, then they repeat themselves to evade interrogation over real issues. I know my experience with them is in direct opposite contradiction to all the fanfare that they attract. But so far they don't seem too interested in resolving my concerns with an open mind to want to keep me as a satisfied customer. Not CLI Related.

Now on to The Best Customer Service!

Citibank: So far, the absolute best of the best. Their EO reps specifically. Very personable, very friendly, extremely helpful and super ambitious to see to it your concerns are genuinely RESPECTED! That means everything and gains my trust wholehearted! Why? Because they PROVE it with both words AND actions. They also keep calling you back until your matter is fully concluded to your satisfaction. Plus they are REAL PEOPLE fun to small talk with too. Need i go on?

Capital One: Again, pertains to EO reps. The only reason Capital One draws so much criticism in numerous posts is because you left out the EO reps from your efforts.
(low limits notwithstanding) Smiley Happy
They are prompt, very courteous, and willing to go the extra mile with you, ONLY if you persist and not give up on them. They even have mailed me a letter afterwards appealing for my interest to make amends whenever and wherever is reasonable if they can. THAT MEANS A LOT!!

Discover didn't care less. US Bank is, well uh, US Bank, if you know what i mean.

Remember please, these are only my own VERY FIRST preliminary observations and experiences up to now and in no way should be considered as any sort of normal practice exhibited by these credit lending institutions CSR's.

With the exceptions of course of the 2 outstanding services that stand out Best IMHO.

Message 47 of 49
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Forgot to mention gecrb falls squarely in the middle, if you want to get analytical about it.

Half the time they are cooperative, friendly, and helpful. Then the other half they are still cooperarative and friendly, but not helpful. Smiley Happy
Message 48 of 49
notmyj
Regular Contributor

I have to say the best service I have received was from the reps dedicated to the Chase Saphire Preffered. Its nice to just dial the number, and have a person answer the phone. No phone tree, no buttons, no thick accent, and VERY helpful. They always talked to me like a person, not a number. Close second would be the reps at Chase United Milage Plus. Called for an issue on screwed up order, they tookcare of it and had my money back to be in 24 hrs. Everytime I have called them, It was ike they were glad I called.

Worst, would be Direct Rewards "Discover" from HSBC. Called a few times in the years I had it, and it was bad everytime. Rude, unhelpful, and uncaring.

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.