Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

cellphone banking - is the Mobile Banking Application safe to use ? (USAA now supports this)

[ Edited ]
Besides accessing your bank's website from your cellphone, another way to bank is to download an application called Mobile Banking Application. This is the software that I can download as a Verizon Wireless customer. According to this list (link), Alltel, AT&T, and Cellular South also offer this application.

USAA now is among the banks that let you bank through this program. According to USAA's website, I will be able to access my checking and credit card accounts.

USAA Mobile / Mobile Banking Application
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=usaa_mobile_main&SearchRanking=4&SearchLinkPhr...

Compare Your USAA Mobile Options
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/McStaticPages?key=mobile_access_comparison

But is this a safe and secure way to bank ? Is easy to hack over the air? What if I lose my phone? What are the risks?

I've read that when you recycle your used cellphone, your personal information may still be left behind in the flash memory of your cellphone. But does this statement apply just to smartphones ?
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-16-2009 01:13 PM
Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

Re: cellphone banking - is the Mobile Banking Application safe to use ? (USAA now supports this)

[ Edited ]
I'll also mention as a Verizon Wireless customer, this is a free application that you download from Get It Now from your cellphone. And it doesn't appear that you have to have the latest and most expensive phone, either. Here is a list of supported phones: (list)

You'll be prompted to enter an activation code that you'll have to obtain from your bank while you're logged in to your bank's website (well, that's what I had to do as a USAA customer).

After that, you'll then have to create a six digit password. That's as far as I've gone (i.e., I haven't created that password, yet). I'm not sure yet whether I want to keep track of a six digit password.

This application has a list of the banks that let you use this application to bank from your cellphone

AFB&T

America's First

Arvest

BancorpSouth

Bank CaroLine

Bank N Georgia

Bank of Coweta

Bank of Nashville

Bank Tuscaloosa

Carolina First Bank

CB&T

CB&T East AL

CB&T LaGrange

CB&T Middle GA

CB&T SE AL

Chase

Citi Mobile for Cards -- (link)

Citizens 1st

Coastal Bank GA

Coastal Bank-FL

Coastal Mobile

Cohutta GA

Cohutta TN

Commercial Bank

FCB Birmingham

FCB Huntsville

FCB Tifton

FCCB FB/Yulee

First State Bank

FirstBank

FNB Jasper

Georgia B&T

Mercantile Bank

NBSC

OFX Bank

Regions

SB&T Bank

Sea Island

SNV Bank JAX

Standard Bank

Sterling Bank

SunTrust

Synovus Bank

Talstatebank

Trust One Bank

USAA

Wachovia
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-16-2009 01:03 PM
Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

Re: cellphone banking - is the Mobile Banking Application safe to use ? (USAA now supports this)

According to this list from Citi, Sprint and T-Mobile offer this appliction, too.

(list)
Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

Verizon, Firethorn Offer Mobile Banking
By Teresa von Fuchs
WirelessWeek - January 04, 2008
http://www.wirelessweek.com/News-Verizon-Firethorn-Mobile-Banking.aspx
Established Contributor
MojaveMoon

[ Edited ]
I finished installing this and registering it for my Citi credit card and my USAA checking and credit card accounts.

For Citi, I can view
- balance
- available credit
- minimum amount due
- due date
- at least the last ten transactions

Regarding the transactions, I can view the name of the merchant, the date and time of the transaction, and the amount of the transaction.

For USAA, I can view all of the above. Plus, I can also ...
- schedule a payment to my USAA credit card from my USAA checking account
- transfer money (I can't tell you how that works because I haven't set up my USAA accounts online for transferring money)

Doing all of the above seems to be faster through this application than through using the telephone automated system.

Yes, it's of course true that you can do all of the above from a computer, but it's nice to be able to do these things from my cellphone while I'm out and about. Plus it's nice having an alternate way to do these things in case for some reason I'm unable to use a computer.
Message Edited by MojaveMoon on 03-17-2009 02:26 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}