cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chances of approval higher for holidays?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

chances of approval higher for holidays?

Generally speaking........... Before we know it some of us will be running around doing our black Friday shopping and before we know it Christmas shopping will be here.  Ive only been building credit since Nov of last year so I dont know if creditors "loosen up" if thats what you want to call it for the holidays.  The only apping I plan on doing is seeking CLI's on NFCU cards and attempting to unsecure my BOFA secured card.  Other then that my scores are in my sig with only one last derog reporting due to fall off in 5/2013 for 196.00 for an old utility bill.

While I dont plan on really opening new accounts until that last baddie falls off,  is there something that maybe I could get approved for?  I've been banking with chase for 3 years now and really want the freedom and CSP but im more then likely going to wait on those until next May that way I should have a limit over 5k with NFCU by then and no derogs.  

Thoughts?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: chances of approval higher for holidays?

It did seem like some CCs eased up on their approvals a bit last year. A lot of people -- myself included -- got Barclay's Apple. And everyone reconned for higher CLs. Smiley Happy Last Nov, I still had one CA on my CR, a relatively thin file, and a TU FICO of around 675. Barclay's gave me $2200, which at the time was my highest CL.

I also got Walmart last November, small CL $300, but I've CLI'd it to $2k now.

They're not going to approve someone with a really bad credit file. But I do believe that they loosen up their criteria a bit around the holidays. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 4
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

It did seem like some CCs eased up on their approvals a bit last year. A lot of people -- myself included -- got Barclay's Apple. And everyone reconned for higher CLs. Smiley Happy Last Nov, I still had one CA on my CR, a relatively thin file, and a TU FICO of around 675. Barclay's gave me $2200, which at the time was my highest CL.

I also got Walmart last November, small CL $300, but I've CLI'd it to $2k now.

They're not going to approve someone with a really bad credit file. But I do believe that they loosen up their criteria a bit around the holidays. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the info.  What was your length of time on accounts or AAOA when you apped for barclays?  I'd only be at one year with 3 cc's by nov.  Ive though about barclays but some here on this forum dont agree with them

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 3 of 4
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I didn't have much. I had 2 PIF secured installment loans that had been paid and closed after 1 year. And I had 2 Cap Ones, ON and a CU CC. All under $1k. They were all under a year old.

I really didn't think I'd be approved. But so many people with similar profiles were getting approved at the time. There was a ginormous thread that went on and on with approvals and recons. I think I was approved for something like $1090 and reconned to $2200 because I called and said I wanted a Mac Book Pro. I ended up getting an iPad w/0% financing. I apped right before Black Friday in Nov. It seemed that the rep wanted me to be able to get the computer I wanted. He did ask some questions about why I had such a short credit file and why I was seeking new credit.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.