Did you mean: 

charging over the limit with citi?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: charging over the limit with citi?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

wow! Thanks so much everyone! did not expect so many responses. I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my post. It is a citi card I'm asking about that only has $3K credit line on it and it's not the world elite or anything special like that. Just a plan aadvantage card. thanks again!

Citi Bank issues so many cards that they can basically get Visa and MasterCard to give them flexibility on how they issue cards. WIt that said, you may have a card that allows over the limit spending. Simple way to check is to log in on your Citi website and look at your card, if it says "Revolving" by the credit limit you can spend over and if it only says credit limit it is a hard limit.

thanks so much! mine says available revolving credit so i believe i can spend over the limit . thanks!

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

wow! Thanks so much everyone! did not expect so many responses. I'm sorry I didn't clarify in my post. It is a citi card I'm asking about that only has $3K credit line on it and it's not the world elite or anything special like that. Just a plan aadvantage card. thanks again!

Citi Bank issues so many cards that they can basically get Visa and MasterCard to give them flexibility on how they issue cards. WIt that said, you may have a card that allows over the limit spending. Simple way to check is to log in on your Citi website and look at your card, if it says "Revolving" by the credit limit you can spend over and if it only says credit limit it is a hard limit.

thanks so much! mine says available revolving credit so i believe i can spend over the limit . thanks!

Glad you checked and reported back. Going back in time (two plus years) there used to be minimum credit limits we had to qualify for and it was $5K. Today, the rules are all changed (basically out the window) and as you reported you got the revolving limit with a $3K. By the way congratulations on your Citi Card and enjoy the many benefits you get with the card! Smiley Happy  Oh another poster offered a note that if the statement cuts with spending over the limit it could short term affect your credit scores and I had not thought about that but, it would likely affect utilization so something to be aware of if that would matter at some point in time.

Message 12 of 13
galahad15
Valued Contributor

At present, my only 2 cards that report as having true flexible spending limits are my BoA Travel Rewards VS and my Cap1 BuyPower WEMC.  Other cards I have that used to formerly have flexible spending limits, but no longer do, are my BoA Cash Rewards WMC, Citi DC, and certain FNBO cards, also maybe 1 or 2 others that I can't recall atm.  Interestingly enough, my Cap1 NHM Platinum MC, which has a hard limit and does not report having a flexible spending limit, mentions on their website that I can technically exceed my limited without penalty -- I don't plan to make use of this feature, but it is still fascinating for me to know that at least one of my non-FSB card still allows the limit to be exceeded without any penalty fee.  Are there other lenders that do this like with my Cap1 card (i.e., meaning being able to exceed CL without being penalized, even if the card is not specifically listed as having a flexible spending limit on the associated credit reports, etc.)?

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.