Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase closing my card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: chase closing my card

I,d call them today told them about the letter after keeping me on line for 25 minutes and talking to different people they said will give me one month to

do shopping with the card and call them by end of May and they will let me know the decision,what u guys think i should do just let the card to and 

keep my AMX or start shopping and let them make the decision?

Thanks

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I,d call them today told them about the letter after keeping me on line for 25 minutes and talking to different people they said will give me one month to

do shopping with the card and call them by end of May and they will let me know the decision,what u guys think i should do just let the card to and 

keep my AMX or start shopping and let them make the decision?

Thanks

Well, that's a decision you'll have to make for yourself - do you really want to keep this card, and if so, do you anticipate using it again regularly in the future? If you can answer "yes" to both questions, do whatever's necessary to retain it, specifically using the grace period they gave you to use it. If not, you'd probably be better off after all letting it go.

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

well,u see if they would have said, ok sir u go ahead and star shopping and in mean while we send u a need card

that would be nice,but she said by end of month we make a decision that means its fifty fifty.

Message 13 of 19
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

HI, Just got a letter from Chase that they are closing my card due ti in activity,

card has not been used for past 2 years and i have this card since 2007, my score is 803.

i,m going to give them a call to ask them keep it open,hope they do,in mean time it it right to apply for a new 

card before i call them? i got pre qualified for chase unlimited freedom.

Thanks

Chase seems to be trying to limit exposure lately with closures, Capital One seems to be handing out CLD's lately also. The banking industry seems to be nervous for some reason...makes one wonder do they know something the general public does not yet know.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 14 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

HI, Just got a letter from Chase that they are closing my card due ti in activity,

card has not been used for past 2 years and i have this card since 2007, my score is 803.

i,m going to give them a call to ask them keep it open,hope they do,in mean time it it right to apply for a new 

Thanks

Chase seems to be trying to limit exposure lately with closures, Capital One seems to be handing out CLD's lately also. The banking industry seems to be nervous for some reason...makes one wonder do they know something the general public does not yet know.

I fully agree with you on this point. It may have to do with the Fed raising rates?

I'm also concerned about this new VantageScore 4.0 that is coming.

It will be very intersting to see when the lenders start using this new scoring model to see what happens. Personally, I think it will be good for some and really bad for others.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Call, try to keep it open but if not on to bigger and better things with that scoreSmiley Wink

+1

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Maybe, or maybe not. I'll return to what I've previously said; there are some common, though by no means invariable or universal, threads in all these closures, CLD's and other AA's is that the account(s) being affected have (1) at least in the specific case of Comenity, been applied for via the Shopping Cart Trick to the effect that a large number of those cards have been obtained, much larger than issuers might consider normal in the usual course of business; and/or (2) have had comparatively rapid increases, often initiated by the accountholders themselves, via application for CLI's either online or by direct (phone) contact, to large - often very large - credit lines, again much larger than they might have become in the usual course of events, and often much larger CL's than makes sense for accountholders at their level of income; and/or (3) have not been actively used in a considerable period of time; and/or (4) have been regularly paid in full, either in single monthly payments or multiple payments occuring as often as weekly, and in some cases not allowing the interest that credit card issuers rely on to make their profits time to generate; and/or (5) appear to the issuer to have been obtained mainly for the sake of getting various rewards or other benefits rather than actually using the card over the long term; and/or (6) have been flagged by issuers for potential or actual questionable activity, going from discrepancies in recording profile information to possible outright fraud. Often more than one of those factors is present in an issuer's decision to execute an AA.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there may be some kind of crackdown going on - maybe coordinated, maybe not; after all, if we know all these maneuvers, so do the issuers, and they may quite possibly have had some pretty detailed private discussions among themselves about the problem - with various issuers trying to get control of various things like the SCT and "churning", which they may view as unfairly gaming the credit-issuing system. We do know that at least a couple of card issuers, for instance Amex, have publicly announced in the not-too-distant past that they're taking steps to rein in such activities.

@I don't know for a fact that the above is what's going on, but I think there's a fair bit of circumstantial evidence accumulating to support the supposition. P.S. @RockinRay: I'm aware that there's been a lot of talk lately about the Fed raising rates, and I think they did raise them a tad at their last meeting, but I don't think that'd be enough to excite such a...vigorous...response from issuers. After all, APR's are volatile by their nature; it's understood that they'll go up and down.

Message 17 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks

Maybe, or maybe not. I'll return to what I've previously said; there are some common, though by no means invariable or universal, threads in all these closures, CLD's and other AA's is that the account(s) being affected have (1) at least in the specific case of Comenity, been applied for via the Shopping Cart Trick to the effect that a large number of those cards have been obtained, much larger than issuers might consider normal in the usual course of business; and/or (2) have had comparatively rapid increases, often initiated by the accountholders themselves, via application for CLI's either online or by direct (phone) contact, to large - often very large - credit lines, again much larger than they might have become in the usual course of events, and often much larger CL's than makes sense for accountholders at their level of income; and/or (3) have not been actively used in a considerable period of time; and/or (4) have been regularly paid in full, either in single monthly payments or multiple payments occuring as often as weekly, and in some cases not allowing the interest that credit card issuers rely on to make their profits time to generate; and/or (5) appear to the issuer to have been obtained mainly for the sake of getting various rewards or other benefits rather than actually using the card over the long term; and/or (6) have been flagged by issuers for potential or actual questionable activity, going from discrepancies in recording profile information to possible outright fraud. Often more than one of those factors is present in an issuer's decision to execute an AA.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that there may be some kind of crackdown going on - maybe coordinated, maybe not; after all, if we know all these maneuvers, so do the issuers, and they may quite possibly have had some pretty detailed private discussions among themselves about the problem - with various issuers trying to get control of various things like the SCT and "churning", which they may view as unfairly gaming the credit-issuing system. We do know that at least a couple of card issuers, for instance Amex, have publicly announced in the not-too-distant past that they're taking steps to rein in such activities.

I don't know for a fact that the above is what's going on, but I think there's a fair bit of circumstantial evidence accumulating to support the supposition. P.S. @RockinRay: I'm aware that there's been a lot of talk lately about the Fed raising rates, and I think they did raise them a tad at their last meeting, but I don't think that'd be enough to excite such a...vigorous...response from issuers. After all, APR's are volatile by their nature; it's understood that they'll go up and down.

Good point and they did raise. You make some valid points in your reply. Something does seem to up. The "world" is a bit shaky right now........

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 18 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good point on Vantage 4.0 RaySmiley Happy. These companies will stop at nothing to make sure that how when we use the bathroom somehow calculates and corelates to our creditworthinessSmiley Wink

Me personally if they told me go shopping well let you know, id close it myself next day. You could go out spend a cool g, pay it and theyll still close it so just go enjoy your AmexSmiley Happy
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.