Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase really??

tag
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

Re: chase really??

You can add me to the list of confused participants. 500 CL which they did not disclose after clicking submit and seeing approval.

Message 41 of 46
jason10
New Contributor

I actually had the opposite experience. Chase offerred me larger limits than AMEX, Citibank or Discover.  I applied for my first Chase card in Oct 2010 with a ~660 FICO score and was shocked when I was approved with a $4k CL and a 14.99% interest rate (applied for the 0% balance transfer offer). I applied simultaneously for a Citibank card w/ an 18 month bal transfer offer and was given a $2k CL. The only thing going for me was that I had a relatively high HHI given my short credit history and low score ($90K).

Chase allowed me to upgrade my card to a Freedom six months later without issue. I asked for a CLI to $6K but was denied. The credit analyst explained that Chase didn't include store cards in the utilization calculation so I had a ~44% utilization. I was told to call back when I lowered my utilization. I never did so, but I was pleasantly surprised to get the CLI anyway when I paid down my balance to $0 (started at about $3,500 after a balance transfer).

About a week ago I applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card and was again shocked to receive a $21,000 CL. This time I had a much better credit score (783 FICO, 8% util, 2 inqs, 1 account in past year, no negs) and a higher HHI ($125k) but my highest CL at the time was the Chase card at $6K. I have a bunch of other cards at $5K but really didn't expect a credit line anywhere in that range.

I decided to also apply for the Citi AAdvantage Visa Sig + AMEX cards for the 100,000 miles + $200 statement credit and received a $12K CL on the AMEX and an $11K CL on the Visa Sig. These applications were submitted a day or two after the Chase, hit the same CRA (Equifax) and I had the same score (783). So, it seems to be a YMMV thing. Perhaps Chase places more emphasis on income than the other banks?

In contrast, I can't get AMEX to TRANSFER available credit from my SPG card ($5K CL) to my Costco TE card despite the latter's paltry $2K CL. They keep saying the SPG card hasn't been open long enough. AMEX say it needs to be open for 6 months and it has now been open for 14 months... I don't have a "luv" button and the one time I did request a CLI, I was denied. Yet, I spend $1,500/mo. on the TE and have done more than $4,000 in a single month. Of course, AMEX will happily offer me a Platinum card.

Message 42 of 46
UpNComing
Established Contributor

I must say, I disagree.  Chase has been great to me.  I joined Chase years ago when they acquired WAMU.  A while back I PCed to the Freedom Card and now run a tremendous amount of money through each month.  They have bent over backward for me ever sense. 

CSP ($5k); Chase MileagePlus Explorer Visa Sig. ($6k); Chase Freedom Visa Sig. ($6k); BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa Sig. ($5k); Amex PRG (NPSL); Amex BCE ($1k); Citi Thank You ($5.4k); Barclay Apple ($4.2k) CapOne Cash ($2.5k) CapOne Platinum ($2.5k) Wells Fargo Home Project Visa ($10.3k) Discover IT ($1.5k) WalMart ($3k); Lowes ($3k); Amazon ($5k); Kohls($1.5k)

Scores: Equ Fico 715 ~ Exp 724 ~ TU Fico 682
Message 43 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpNComing wrote:

I must say, I disagree.  Chase has been great to me.  I joined Chase years ago when they acquired WAMU.  A while back I PCed to the Freedom Card and now run a tremendous amount of money through each month.  They have bent over backward for me ever sense. 

Chase has been great to me too.  Free bonus money and 0%apr over the years cannot be beat. 

Message 44 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed, Chase is loving me too..I delight with their customer service, ability to recon in a positive way, understanding your needs, I love this bank. A year ago I run about 25k on costco amex with a limit of 3k ( not love from amex). Anyways, we've got options right?

Message 45 of 46
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Indeed, Chase is loving me too..I delight with their customer service, ability to recon in a positive way, understanding your needs, I love this bank. A year ago I run about 25k on costco amex with a limit of 3k ( not love from amex). Anyways, we've got options right?

I wish I understood Chase better. I have gone down (400s in 2010) and back up (700s currently) but I never was late, not once, on my Chase Freedom, opened in 2008. I use the card, often, and I am never anywhere near my credit limit.

When I apped they gave me $400. They increased me to $500 in late 2008. And that is it. Nothing since, even when I ask for more, they will do nothing.

All of my negs are 3+ years in the past, I make 60k+. I figured this would be a no brainer to be my primary card. Apparently not. Cap1 will give me 2k, but not the bank I use, worked for for 3 years and have my oldest card with.

Good times!

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 46 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.