Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chase recon - need advice

tag
burnednotice
Established Member

chase recon - need advice

Hey folks,
Over the weekend I apped for a bunch of cards including the chase freedom. I called the recon line the other night and was denied.
The lady said it was due to a previous CO with Chase (despite GW removal, they still remember). She also said it doesn't look like I have rebuilt my credit yet. They pulled EX.
I explained to her that I have a secured card with TD for almost a year (which she said is appearing as a loan for $35...). I also told her I was approved for Amex and 3 GE backed cards over the weekend as well. I guess due to the timing of the apps, she only saw an inquiry from Amex. Nothing was reporting yet.
She asked some questions about my job and income (33k) and ended the call by saying "your application is pending. You'll hear from us in 2 weeks" and got off the phone in quite a hurry.

What do you guys think? Should I wait or call back and try again with another rep? Also, the GE cards all started reporting yesterday. Will Chase see that or will they have to do another HP?

Starting Score: (USAA FAKO scores)
ex:579 eq:585 tu:603

Current Score: (7/2012) ex: 585 eq:663 tu:603
(8/2012) ex: 657 eq: 673 tu: 671

Goal Score: 850+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Re: chase recon - need advice

Same thing here. Almost. I tried to recon and explain the situation and was still denied. I think it was because of too little credit established after my bk ch7 discharged in 09. Even though I told her that I just got approved for two cc that week, she said "sorry"

Discover said they won't recon either! 

I also apped through a local CU and was also denied, even though I was on the phone with the guy almost 20 minutes! He said the same thing; too little credit established after the BK. 

Good luck t hough!

Message 2 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

With a score barely over 600 I would think you are not quite there yet. I just squeezed by with a 631. You need to remember that even though they are lenient recently, they are still a prime lender.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I got denied for Chase Freedom with a 687 fico.  the only negative is paid CO from Chase from 2005 and they said that didn't matter. I have 21 total accounts on my credit, oldest over 10 years old and AAoA 4 year 100% on time except for that one account from chase.

they were more worried that I had multiple card with balances, I explained that I had just made a large purchase and spread it out over 3 cards.  they told me to pay them off and call back.

@Jlu wrote:

With a score barely over 600 I would think you are not quite there yet. I just squeezed by with a 631. You need to remember that even though they are lenient recently, they are still a prime lender.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 4 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

I would like to think that my banking relationship (over $20k in my checking account) and positive Chase TL CC I had open from 2005-2007 helped me.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 5 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

I'd imagine a previous Chase CO combined with you opening multiple TLs in a matter of days was a huge red flag. You might want to give it 6 months to a year and try again. Opening a Chase checking account like the above poster recommended might also help during manual review, but only if there was a decent amount of money in it - having an account with $11.28 in it might actually hurt you.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 11
alboto
Regular Contributor

I got approved with a 678 Fico score only CL=500. I tried multiple times to get an CLI. I told them I had accounts with chase for over 10 years and then the CSR said "well that's exactly why we gave you the card" around $4000 in Checking and Savings, still didnt get the CLI Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 11
burnednotice
Established Member

appreciate the feedback guys.

I have my primary checking account with Chase, which I pointed out to the lady I spoke to. I've had it for many many years. I also have a JPM brokerage account, however my father is still the custodian, and the lady just shrugged it off.

I just received the denial letter (dated before my recon call) and it specifically stated "delinquency or other derog relationship with our bank".

So the question remains -- should I wait for the next decision letter in the mail, or just go ahead and call the Recon line again and talk to another rep?

Message 8 of 11
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Call and try another person... I heard some people had to recon twice or three times to get approved...i reconned 4 times no luck

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 9 of 11
burnednotice
Established Member

I juat called back prepared to go another round -- the rep told me I was already approved! $500 limit is disappointing but at least I finally have the card!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.