Did you mean: 

citi simplicity cli

tag
jaraico
Regular Contributor

citi simplicity cli

coming up on my 6 months mark with my citi card

current credit limit is 1k was looking for a total cl of 2.5k

i guess my question is its only been 6 months since i was approved my score went up maybe 15 points (pulled ex in socal)

do they base their decision more on your score or your last 6 months of history with them?

if i aim for a higher cl (maybe match my chase of 5k) do you always get a counter offer?

thanks in advance!

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cheychey99
New Contributor

Re: citi simplicity cli

I was just recently approved for a Citi card. I haven't even received my first statement or made a payment on the account and I already applied for a CLI online and was approved for another 1k. Give it a shot. Good luck and let us know.
Message 2 of 10
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Citi can be confusing.  They don't always counter offer though.  They also sometimes give a CLI when you don't expect they would (which is a bit rare but happens).    Make sure you're past the 6 month mark, it seems they're often (not always) a stickler about that so it increases your chances. 

Asked twice, at 8 or so months and I think around 15 months, neither time was granted or countered, but no HP either.  Using it (Platinum Select) for the 0% for a couple more months.   I think the Simplicity might be more likely to grant CLIs, not sure.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 10
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@cheychey99 wrote:
I was just recently approved for a Citi card. I haven't even received my first statement or made a payment on the account and I already applied for a CLI online and was approved for another 1k. Give it a shot. Good luck and let us know.

thats awesome! was it a HP?

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 4 of 10
bs6054
Valued Contributor

As Ryvision says, normally Citi requires the account to be 6 months or more old (it states that in the FAQ on credit line increases) so this was unusual but doubtless welcome.

Message 5 of 10
cheychey99
New Contributor

@dodgerslv

I'm not sure if it was a HP. I just got the CLI yesterday evening but haven't received a SW alert yet. Does SW even alert you when a HP occurred? Idk, I'll just refresh my reports later today. I think it may take a day or so to show up. I'll post back with the result.

On the other hand, I tried the same thing with my Discover IT card yesterday and it was a no go. I got a message that said I cannot request a CLI at this time. I didn't even have the chance to put in any info. Maybe the Citi CLI was some kind of freak occurrence.
Message 6 of 10
cheychey99
New Contributor

@jaraico

Please listen to the guys and girls with more experience than myself. I'm new on here and just trying to rebuild my credit. I just wanted to share my luck. Part of joining this forum is learning to make wise credit decisions unlike what I did yesterday lol. I could have easily been denied and wasted a HP.
Message 7 of 10
xboxrunner
Regular Contributor

I make a note in my calender everytime 6 months has passed from my last CLI with Citi. I apply for a CLI online and fill out there forms. I usually ask for them to double the limit--although I know they wont--however they always counter me with a $1,500 CLI offer without a hardpull which I gladly accept. Slow and steady increases are fine with me as long as they keep coming! Smiley Very Happy YMMV

Transunion - 820 (9/8/21)
Equifax Fico 8 - 832 (9/8/21)
Vantagescore - 821 (3/20/21)
Message 8 of 10
sleephla541
Regular Contributor

I've been looking at these Citi Simplicity credit line increase boards and decided to take the plunge with the hopes that they wouldn't HP my report.  The warning message said, "Citi may check your credit history" before I accepted.  I asked for double my amount of $2600 and they provided me with the following message below:

Your credit line can be immediately increased by $1,200.00 for a total new credit line of $3,800.00.

During the evaluation process, a credit bureau report was not pulled.

Please indicate below whether or not you accept this amount. If you want a lower credit line, call Customer Service at 1-866-696-5673. Outside the U.S., call 605-335-2222.

So, I'm not exactly sure how they figured this, but I'm glad they did. 

TU: 752, EQ: 761, EX: 745
Message 9 of 10
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

I am at 6mth mark so,I called today for a Cli  they told me you can ask at anytime. After you answer basically the same questions asked in the online form the request is entered in the system. He did tell me if they can't do the amount you're requesting they will have to do a credit pull and review to see if they can give you that amount,but they will ask you before they do it. I guess that means doing the online form is also a SP unless you want to request more than they offer.

I asked for 6,000 limit to match my highest card, my limit with Citi was 1,200 at the time, in about 20sec. He said they could do 1,200 for a total 2,400 limit. I took it since I didn't want to get a HP at this time.. Hope this info helps someone.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.