Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citi taking way to long to post ach payment

tag
jeffery581
Established Contributor

citi taking way to long to post ach payment

I have noticed citi takes days to post an ach payment. Of ALL my other cards NOBODY does this on an ACH. I will never apply for a citi card again. Once I get another gas card citi is getting the boot. HSBC, Capital one, GEMB, even Credit One post the ACH payment the next morning, everytime!  What is it with citi? The ach payment is good as cash yet they still take days to post it. What is there problem? Citi is for the birds! I am not playing these games.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: citi taking way to long to post ach payment

I've noticed this happens with my MBNA card.

I will set the payment for the 8th, and it will recognize the payment on that day, but won't actually physically post til a few days later.

In order to avoid a certain sticky situation, I just make sure I "make the payment" at least 5 days before the due date.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 18
laz98
Senior Contributor

I've noticed this too, but it doesn't really bother me.

Message 3 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I pay as soon as the statement cuts for other "just in case situations". They are holding my money. Its the principle. It is not right. I bet they are making some extra interest money of folks who dont PIF I bet somehow too. 

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeffery581 wrote:

I pay as soon as the statement cuts for other "just in case situations". They are holding my money. Its the principle. It is not right. I bet they are making some extra interest money of folks who dont PIF I bet somehow too. 

They are holding "your" money?  Once you pay them, it is their money.  Why do you care what they do with your payment?  If you post your payment before the due date, they aren't going to charge you extra interest or late fees.  You need only post your payment before the due date.  It is up to them when they process it.

Message 5 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Isn't interest being added in average daily balance? granted its only 2 days, but.... (x 4 million customers?)

Plus, when I issue a payment I like to see the payment has posted the next day and has been credit to the proper account. I've just never seen any place that takes so long. Everything else I pay shows the next day. No big deal but its irritating.

Message 6 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jeffery581 wrote:

They are holding "your" money?  Once you pay them, it is their money.  Why do you care what they do with your payment?  If you post your payment before the due date, they aren't going to charge you extra interest or late fees.  You need only post your payment before the due date.  It is up to them when they process it.

In general, I agree and don't care that much when my payments get applied.  I don't have a Citi card currently.  I could see that it could matter if they are not freeing up the CL while they take the time to process the payment, and are putting you in a position where you can't use the card until they free up the CL again.  Is that the case?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

@jeffery581 wrote:

Isn't interest being added in average daily balance? granted its only 2 days, but.... (x 4 million customers?)

Plus, when I issue a payment I like to see the payment has posted the next day and has been credit to the proper account. I've just never seen any place that takes so long. Everything else I pay shows the next day. No big deal but its irritating.

When I've paid my card, the payment goes through as if it had been paid that day, even though it posts 2 or 3 days later. So the interest is always spot on. MBNA hasn't "cheated" my interest by hard posting the transaction later on. This is what you need to verify.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 8 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

The available credit is not an issue. 

Message 9 of 18
john398
Senior Contributor

When I pay on barclays it showed up right away but took a while for my available credit to show up, I did not mind

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.