Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citibank SM

tag
red259
Super Contributor

citibank SM

So I sent a SM to citi to reduce my credit line on my account. Its taking days to accomplish this, because their responses are really slow.Had I known it would take this long I would have just called in. I guess its ok if you don't care when they get to something, but for me it is holding up my app which is getting annoying. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: citibank SM

Why do you want to reduce you credit line?
Message 2 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Theyre fairly slow with SMs.

I think he wants or needs to reduce overall exposure with them before he apps.

OP you could just call and do the request and tell them to ignore the SM. Or else just wait. As annoying as it is, the card you want isnt going anywhere.
Message 3 of 29
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Theyre fairly slow with SMs.

I think he wants or needs to reduce overall exposure with them before he apps.

OP you could just call and do the request and tell them to ignore the SM. Or else just wait. As annoying as it is, the card you want isnt going anywhere.

Yes this is the reason. While the card may not be going anywhere I do have bills I need to pay now which would be useful for initial spend purposes. And like almost all of us here I get impatient when I am ready to app and get held up! Smiley Very Happy I could call in, but I just didn't want to create some sort of issue in the system at this point. I sent that SM in over the weekend and had one response back, but of course it takes two Sms to accomplish this (one for request and one for confirmation).

;
Message 4 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Id just call them and do your request via phone then.
Message 5 of 29
yfan
Valued Contributor

Why not just call in now?

Message 6 of 29
yfan
Valued Contributor

red259 wrote:
I could call in, but I just didn't want to create some sort of issue in the system at this point. I sent that SM in over the weekend and had one response back, but of course it takes two Sms to accomplish this (one for request and one for confirmation).

What "issue" do you think a call requesting a CLD could cause that an SM requesting the same thing wouldn't?

Message 7 of 29
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well if you dont wanna call then not sure what to tell you. Happy waiting lol.

On a more serious note, how do you know that this CLD will immediately free things up for a new approval? Their systems may take time to update. If you app right away, you may still be declined and then you are unlikely to get the CLD reversed. So either way id be patient with this. Id wait a bit after the CLD
Message 8 of 29
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Id just call them and do your request via phone then.

I guess I will have to do that, since this is taking too long. I can only reduce to 2k and I am thinking about taking the sub par retention offer and keeping the card at this point for the perks. Don't have any planned AA flights, but in a few weeks I have some time off and I might look to see if there is a dirt cheap domestic AA flight somewhere like maybe new orleans for a few days. Not looking to use points at this stage so want to keep the costs down. In addition when I do go to redeem my TY points from citigold account it will be a paid AA ticket, although I will likely use points to upgrade to business class on a coast to coast flight which I think would cancel out benefits of the card.  

;
Message 9 of 29
red259
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Well if you dont wanna call then not sure what to tell you. Happy waiting lol.

On a more serious note, how do you know that this CLD will immediately free things up for a new approval? Their systems may take time to update. If you app right away, you may still be declined and then you are unlikely to get the CLD reversed. So either way id be patient with this. Id wait a bit after the CLD

I don't know, but would think that when I can see my line decreased in my account that it would be freed up. Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously it doesn't take as long as it does on a closed account freeing up credit. 

;
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.