Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

citicards rejection

tag
outofthewoods
Valued Member

Re: citicards rejection

my credit union unfortunatley does not service their own cards. they use fia (I think thats the name). I looked into my cu first since I have a few accts with them. I didnt apply because they dont have their own cards.
Message 11 of 28
pattycake
Established Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

From everything I've heard, CITI likes big scores & cleaner reports than what you or I have Smiley Sad  I was declined in Jan with #'s similar to yours...more baddies, but older than yours.  *sigh*

While it's not a "great" card, like pattycake mentioned, I have a starter card...Credit one.  You are likely to be approved (I was 4 yrs ago with lower scores than yours & fresher baddies) $350 to start but CLI's every 6 mos.  First one I got was 1.5 yrs into it because I didn't know better!  Now I call every 6 mos & that one is up to $850.  For now, I hang on to it for the age.  $6 fee per mo is worth it for now.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 08-01-2009 11:17 AM

Credit One is a good rebuilder, as is Orchard or one of the CU secured cards.  They aren't cheap, but for rebuilding, they are the Holy Grail.  I had Orchard and Credit One (back in 2004 they were First National Bank of Marin).  While there aren't as many options as there used to be, rebuilders are still out there, so I highly recommend getting two and then keeping your payment history as clean as possible.  I also recommend visiting the rebuilding your credit section of this site.  Best of luck to you - I never would have been able to get my scores to the 700 club had I not started following the advice of these boards, and my FICOs were in the 400's back in 2002.  

Mo - I'm surprised you haven't gotten a better offer from Citi.  I got a Citi card with FICOs lower than yours, but that was in 2006.   

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@outofthewoods wrote:
my credit union unfortunatley does not service their own cards. they use fia (I think thats the name). I looked into my cu first since I have a few accts with them. I didnt apply because they dont have their own cards.

Look around at other CU options.  Don't just accept what is handed to you, find someone who has the "full services" you need.

If you can qualify for membership, NFCU is where you need to be.  If not, you can consider BoA  secured or 99/500 or look at other CU's.  Alliant doesn't offer secured cards and PenFed I'm not sure.

Message 13 of 28
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@outofthewoods wrote:

with a starter card, you cl increases over time? I'm not familiar how they work. I dont plan on charging up a storm when I get a card, just rebuilding my credit.

another q: how bad of a hit do you think I took with this rejection?

With my card, like I said...I just let the $6 fee post each mo, then pay it.  but $6 on a $350 card is a higher util than $6 on an $850 card.  See what I mean?  Just keep getting the $100 inc every 6 mos.  Helps with my age & overall util.

How bad of a hit?  Just 1 inq on one CRA, right?  If that's the case & you didn't already have a few inq on that cra, the hit should be 1 point drop (YMMV)..well that's what I got recently for hard inq on EQ for a 1500 CLI. (already had 2 inq this year on that report)... I'd say that was worth 1 point. 

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 14 of 28
outofthewoods
Valued Member

thanks. I'm going to check into credit one and orchard now. will also spent more time in the rebuilding section of the forum. I guess I can never read/leard enough..maybe I should have picked everyones brain before applying for the citi card.
Message 15 of 28
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:

From everything I've heard, CITI likes big scores & cleaner reports than what you or I have Smiley Sad  I was declined in Jan with #'s similar to yours...more baddies, but older than yours.  *sigh*

While it's not a "great" card, like pattycake mentioned, I have a starter card...Credit one.  You are likely to be approved (I was 4 yrs ago with lower scores than yours & fresher baddies) $350 to start but CLI's every 6 mos.  First one I got was 1.5 yrs into it because I didn't know better!  Now I call every 6 mos & that one is up to $850.  For now, I hang on to it for the age.  $6 fee per mo is worth it for now.

Message Edited by BungalowMo on 08-01-2009 11:17 AM

Credit One is a good rebuilder, as is Orchard or one of the CU secured cards.  They aren't cheap, but for rebuilding, they are the Holy Grail.  I had Orchard and Credit One (back in 2004 they were First National Bank of Marin).  While there aren't as many options as there used to be, rebuilders are still out there, so I highly recommend getting two and then keeping your payment history as clean as possible.  I also recommend visiting the rebuilding your credit section of this site.  Best of luck to you - I never would have been able to get my scores to the 700 club had I not started following the advice of these boards, and my FICOs were in the 400's back in 2002.  

Mo - I'm surprised you haven't gotten a better offer from Citi.  I got a Citi card with FICOs lower than yours, but that was in 2006.   

Mine started with marin too!

I know what you mean about CITI...they pulled EX, but I know my FICO was a 671 from lender pull.  That's why I figured they liked higher #'s & cleaner reports.  Maybe they just don't like me Smiley Sad

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 16 of 28
outofthewoods
Valued Member

I'll check out NFCU to see if I would qualify...a boa secured card is through fia isnt it? I thought fia wasnt a good company. what is 99/500? thank you
Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, BoA uses FIA.

99/500 is a builder program in which you pay a $99 fee and get a $500 limit.  At the end of the year, if you have paid on time and maintained the account, you get your $99 back, so it is "partially" secured.

BoA graduates their secured cards (if in good standing) after the first year and they tend to grow.

Many CU's (local and otherwise) offer secured as well.  The good thing about CU's is that they tend to grow well and treat you as a person with your CU history, not just a FICO number and CR.

Message 18 of 28
outofthewoods
Valued Member

thanks.

dot qualify for nfcu membership. boa offered me a secured card a couple of years back which I didnt accept.  that was before I joined here.

Message 19 of 28
pattycake
Established Contributor

@outofthewoods wrote:

thanks.

dot qualify for nfcu membership. boa offered me a secured card a couple of years back which I didnt accept.  that was before I joined here.

There's no harm in calling and asking for qualifications.  You need to start somewhere with your fresh, new leaf!
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.