Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

close Wells Secured ?

tag
TsuSurf
Contributor

close Wells Secured ?

I've had this wells sec card for almost 12 months.  Its has $1,000 secured on it I can use right now.  Is it woth it for me to wait until October and see if they MIGHT graduate me.  I don't really bank with Wells.  Do they have any good cash back cards?  I'm scared to close it and have that secured note on there for 10 years.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: close Wells Secured ?

@TsuSurf wrote:

I've had this wells sec card for almost 12 months.  Its has $1,000 secured on it I can use right now.  Is it woth it for me to wait until October and see if they MIGHT graduate me.  I don't really bank with Wells.  Do they have any good cash back cards?  I'm scared to close it and have that secured note on there for 10 years.

Do you have other TL's?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 14
TsuSurf
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

Do you have other TL's?

Yes I have four other tradelines with higher credit limits.

Message 3 of 14
RyVision
Valued Contributor

I don't think WF has much for rewards cards.  They seem to be focused more on the full range of banking services than CCs like the rewards cards that are known for points and cash back.

They're also usually a bit more "generous" with those who do their everyday banking with them (but not by that much lol).   That said, there are better banks and CUs to choose from for friendly and generous service.

If you have higher CLs with other lenders, esp that offer rewards, you may not miss WF that much.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 4 of 14
myjourney
Super Contributor

@TsuSurf wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

Do you have other TL's?

Then if you need the deposit close it IMHO

Does it even report as secured or unsecured I know most just report as revolving TL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 14
TsuSurf
Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@TsuSurf wrote:

Do you have other TL's?

Then if you need the deposit close it IMHO

Does it even report as secured or unsecured I know most just report as revolving TL

It reports secured.  I eventually want to close this card because of the lack of rewards and I don't bank with them.  I'm trying to decide whether I should wait so it wont close as secured or just close now as secured.  I want my money Smiley Happy.  What does everybody think?  I would use the 1000 to pay down some cards.

Message 6 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

Call them now and ask to be upgraded. If not, just close it then IMO.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 14
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

I just posted the same question not too long ago. I opened my secured card in 2011 with a 10k deposit....it still hasn't been unsecured. I'm going to keep it until October as well because I'm hoping that they improve their other credit products but I'm really wanting my deposit back. 

Message 8 of 14
enharu
Super Contributor

@tempus, you should just call WF and have them unsecure you for a lower CL. From what I remember your next highest CL is half of your WF CL. I highly doubt WF is going to unsecure you for the full amount
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 14
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

I called and they said that there was nothing they could do and I could just reapply for a new account. I didn't want any inquiries especially  just to close the other account. They said graduations aren't customer initiated and I would have to wait for my account to be reviewed. I'm just going to wait until October and then I'll pull out the axe. I even told them I was using the money to set aside and wouldn't even mind a 1k limit. They again just said to reapply. I have other great accounts and really just will be a little more patient with them.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.