Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed Discover

tag
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

closed Discover

I am one of those who was stuck in the $1000 credit limit range and decided that I would call in one more time to see if they would increase that. No luck so I closed my card that I had had open since 2008. One less account to worry about I guess...
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Re: closed Discover

How much were you using the card?
TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 2 of 17
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Hadn't used it more than 3 times In last 10 months. They tried to sell me on the benefit of 5% cash back on gas but I have Chase Freedom card.
Message 3 of 17
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Free market and love it.  They don't want your business, you can give it to somebody else.  Great choice!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 17
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

+1 Repo. Their loss :-) I'm always #winning haha
Message 5 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

What reason did they give for the denial?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 17
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

Insufficient experience with current discover credit limit. I have had it since 2008!!! They're crazy
Message 7 of 17
s_rob7488
Regular Contributor

The guy I spoke to today when I got transferred to clsoe the account was going over how they tell you it will hurt your credit score basically and that I should keep it open because it is a free card to have and the 5% categories etc...I wasn't having it and then I asked if there was any way to up the limit without a hard pull and he said no so I asked what CR they pull and he said it would be all 3!!!!!! I said HECK NO!!!!! are they crazy? I got glimpses of Cap1 for a minute haha on another note I got a notification for my score watch that said that my score went up due to my SWRR card being closed and my Freedom card being opened. The Freedom had already reported and then the SWRR closing was the last to post and it boosted my score like 18 points I believe. Being that I just got a USAA with 7k limit I don't thinki closing the Discover at 1k will hurt me. 

Message 8 of 17
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

I did the exact same thing about 2 months ago. They were my lowest limit and refused to up it at all. So, I just closed it. Haven't regretted it since. Chase loves me. :-)

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 17
lithium78
Established Contributor

There really is no benefit to having both a Freedom and a Discover, so I don't see a problem with closing it.  They probably wouldn't give you a CLI because you didn't use the card very much.  That's the same problem I'm currently having with my Walmart Discover.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.