Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed my Chase Freedom

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: closed my Chase Freedom

@Fico2Go wrote:
sometimes I wonder and think the entire credit account industry is a joke. How can one bank approve 500. And another at 22.5k?

no algorithm can be this off and be differefent
that much.

A high limit from a credit union is not the same thing has a high limit from a credit card company. There are much different underwriting standards and formulas therefore the lenders consider applicants differently. Credit unions are much more likely to give high credit lines, but I think they look more throughly into applicants then credit card companies usually do. At least that is my understanding.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 31 of 71
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@red259 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:
sometimes I wonder and think the entire credit account industry is a joke. How can one bank approve 500. And another at 22.5k?

that much.

A high limit from a credit union is not the same thing has a high limit from a credit card company. There are much different underwriting standards and formulas therefore the lenders consider applicants differently. Credit unions are much more likely to give high credit lines, but I think they look more throughly into applicants then credit card companies usually do. At least that is my understanding.   

If you take away the CU CL, the $500 CL is not that far off. 

Message 32 of 71
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Fico2Go wrote:

that much.

If you take away the CU CL, the $500 CL is not that far off. 

+1

Message 33 of 71
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Yes 40x more generous. If OP can build a base or garden at this level it is the way to go. No need for miniscule CL.

Congrats OP.
Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 34 of 71
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

Why should someone keep a $500 limit Freedom (that is unlikely to grow well through regular use) when they have a NFCU membership and $27K in limits betwen two cards?

The Freedom card offers 5% catagories and 10% back for some purchases via online, and has no AF, Rewards are far better and worse case it can sit in a sock drawer the card, 5 months of history is too soon to expect a CLI on  card that was a border line approval in the first place. $500 CL from prime lenders are a sign sure we will give you a card but we really don't trust you.

They should give you an option before you get a $500 card, A. Take a $500 card with a strong possibility of a long slow road to a decent CL in a couple years, or B. don't take the card, wait 6 months to a year and get no baddies and no more INQ's and have a chance for a decent limit that will grow when you apply again.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 35 of 71
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:
How can one bank approve 500. And another at 22.5k?

that much.

Of course they can vary.  Underwriting criteria can and do vary by creditor.  Scoring algorithm may be the same but that's not the same thing as underwriting criteria.  Some creditors are much more conservative than others.  Different creditors are going to vary in regard to the limits that they're willing to extend.

There's also the matter of one's credit changing from one app to the next.  A new tradeline with a CL of $X can certainly change one's credit.  

Message 36 of 71
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Everyone,

Thanks for the comments.

As for my Siggy with the 22k limit, it started off as a $500 secured card 12 months ago.

It wasn't that I was asking for the world when I asked Chase for an increase. I probably paid that card off once a week for 5 months.

Fine. I don't have the attitude that I thought I was entitled to an increase but since it was my lowest limit card, I was hoping they would at least TRY to keep me as a customer.

When the EO said they couldn't help, I asked to close the account and there wasn't even a rebuttal from them.

IMO, they lost a customer.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 37 of 71
MMB85
Contributor

Pretty weird you only had a $500 CL with them. I applied for Freedom in June and got approved for $5,000

Message 38 of 71
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Well I was once a loan underwriter and loan officer.  I can tell you that we dealt with a dozen or so lenders and although underwriting criteria vary.. and should.....I know their criteria off the bat for the most part. 

A separation between 500 and 24K credit line is not a difference in criteria it would be something along the lines of different business model.. and maybe different product. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 39 of 71
Startome
Regular Contributor

Everyone keeps arguing to close cards you don't need that have no annual fee saying there is no harm in closing it, when it dings your AAoA with a 5 mo acct for the next 10 years. Why not just shred the card and never look back. Let them close it later and have a better AAoA.

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 40 of 71
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.