closing a card in less then a week after arrival

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: closing a card in less then a week after arrival

@Revelate wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

Citi can and possibly will still report it to the bureaus.

If you close it and it is reported, you do sort of look like a flake to future underwriters.  As such I'd never ever do this personally and would just suck it up for a year.  Plus on the assumption you applied for it based on some reward structure that fits your financial habits, I find it hard to believe that $5K CL is not sufficient to cover monthly expenses in that category.

Yes, but he obviously has a lot of big credit cards, so I don't know if a future underwriter will care (or maybe even notice) about such a small card.  Could be lots of not particularly flaky reasons (app'd for the wrong card by mistake, realized the error and cancelled).

I assume that underwriters will notice everything.  Personally I'd notice a tradeline that was artificially short, and look at it's details, and I suspect most underwriters are far more likely to notice something which is different from the vast majority of applications they look at.  Actually given the entire recon nature that is credit card approvals apparently, I think it's reasonable to state that underwriting will likely take the most negative reason and assume that.

It's certainly fair game to question, and I recommend minimizing those as too many questionable items almost certainly is going to be problematic.  Why have even a potential additional one when it's avoidable?

Yes, that's true.  I guess it depends on your credit situation, if your scores are 820 I think this is of no importance, at 650, yes!  But I still think a good answer is something like "When I applied, I misunderstood the benefits the card offered, and when I looked more closely, I realized it had no value to me and I didn't want to keep a useless card open" which doesn't attach much blame apart from poor reading comprehension!

Thinking about this particular situation more, the OP was originally denied, so he probably does need to be concerned some about the credit report.  He has explained that some of the best cards don't report, hence his decision, in line with everyone but mine, to keep it.

Message 11 of 16
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@swpopham wrote:

I guess ill finish the spend requirement tomorrow and sock drawer it.  put myficos quarterly monitering on it.

you know what I just thought about, our CSP and navy card and jared are all that is reporting on my credit. pd and select card dont report, ink dosent report, and the ink dosent report.... damn...

This is why you got the 5k line, it is a little conservative but pretty much in line with your other cards...  unless it has a ridicilous AF just throw in the drawer and forget about it, you never know when it might come in handy 

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 12 of 16
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

lol, ask your friend to buy you a Big Mac and they say no. Then you you beg them and they decide to bring you back a McDouble instead. You throw it away.

Seems like a waste.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Within a year I bet you can get your limit doubled . . . or better.

Message 14 of 16
manyquestions
Established Contributor

I'd keep it open. As others have said, you've already taken the hit for the inquiry, you'll have a new account reporting whether it is open or closed, and your AAoA will go down whether the card reports open or closed.   Why come away from that with a closed account? I'd leave it open and ask for a CLI after 6 months and then again at 12 months.

Message 15 of 16
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

You took the hit plus there is no AF for a year. I say keep it and ask for a CLI after 6 months. 

Agree here. They seem to be a little more flex with CLI on this card from my experience.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.