Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closing cards never used

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

closing cards never used

If you close a card that was issued but never used will it still count as "new account opened"?  I applied for Old Navy and American Eagle Visa cards but was issued the store card which I don't really want......I did so because I have had good success with getting credit from GECRB over the past year, got the Walmart and Sams club Discover Cards and other store cards that I use.  I just won't be using the Old Navy and American Eagle cards.  Got too many "new accounts" over the past year,..... hope closing these two will help that and I can be able to get a few more "real" credit cards by the end of this year.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: closing cards never used

@ecxpa wrote:

If you close a card that was issued but never used will it still count as "new account opened"?  I applied for Old Navy and American Eagle Visa cards but was issued the store card which I don't really want......I did so because I have had good success with getting credit from GECRB over the past year, got the Walmart and Sams club Discover Cards and other store cards that I use.  I just won't be using the Old Navy and American Eagle cards.  Got too many "new accounts" over the past year,..... hope closing these two will help that and I can be able to get a few more "real" credit cards by the end of this year.

Unfortunately it's too late. At this point they will report as new accounts. I think you should just leave it open and maybe request them to lower the credit limit to minimalize the bank's exposure amount to you.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 3
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: closing cards never used

@ecxpa wrote:

They will report but you can try asking for a gesture of goodwill in the form of having the accounts suppressed from the reports. I want to stress this is a courtesy done on a very exceptional basis.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.