Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

college student seeking advice

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: college student seeking advice

Hi. I really would recommend Bank of America Cash Rewards card for students. I applied for the Platinum Plus in May and got approved, and a month later they released the new version for students so I'm thinking to PC. It's Bank of America after all.

Current Cards:
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - I had a very successful app spree and wanted to thank everyone here for the advice. I was approved for:

Amex PRG - NPSL

Amex Delta Gold - $1800

Citi Forward - $2000

Discover More - $1500

Walmart - $400 

I'm going to keep all these accounts and let them age with me through college (except for PRG). Thanks again!

Message 12 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update - I had a very successful app spree and wanted to thank everyone here for the advice. I was approved for:

Amex PRG - NPSL

Amex Delta Gold - $1800

Citi Forward - $2000

Discover More - $1500

Walmart - $400 

I'm going to keep all these accounts and let them age with me through college (except for PRG). Thanks again!

Are you the OP? lol and congrats anyways!

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 13 of 20
CardinalRules
New Contributor

I'm the OP. I had a problem accessing my account, so I got a new one, and I just now got access to my old one. But yeah, same person, and thanks.

AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 14 of 20
cschick_old
Established Member

Congrats! Now forget you know how to apply for credit cards, hit the books, and get some of your "ideal wallet cards" after graduation. The best thing I did in college was to PIF and graduate debt free. It's better to have a thin file with good stuff at graduation than to have dug yourself a hole you have to try to climb out of as you launch your career. Patience is hard but pays off Smiley Happy

@CardinalRules wrote:

I'm the OP. I had a problem accessing my account, so I got a new one, and I just now got access to my old one. But yeah, same person, and thanks.

FICO: Ex 782(AMEX)
Cards: Amex BCE(2500), Discover(2500), Target (500)
App'd Amex & Target Jul 2012, Gardening til 2013 or beyond
Goals: Visa or MC Rewards Card after first home (2014-2015)
Message 15 of 20
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

Impressive app spree! Congrats and see you in the garden! Smiley Happy 

Message 16 of 20
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Old thread alert. 

This is from summer 2012. . .    Smiley Indifferent

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 17 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

@b_seeker wrote:

Old thread alert. 

This is from summer 2012. . .    Smiley Indifferent

+1

Message 18 of 20
CardinalRules
New Contributor

Thanks kevinnguyen530. Since you revived the thread, I figured i'd give everyone an update on my credit. I stayed in the garden for ~9 months, and was able to get CLIs on most of my cards as soft pulls. I also got ride of some cards with annual fees. I recently did another app spree and now have the following lineup of cards and limits:

AMEX SPG - $8000
Citi AA Visa - $6500
Citi Forward - $2500
Walmart - $3000
Discover - $2000
Wells Fargo - $1500

Really happy with these cards, especially the AA and SPG card since I'm traveling a lot more. Going to stay in the garden for a while and maybe chase some new cards next year.
AMEX SPG - $8k
Citi AA Visa - $6.5k
Walmart Discover - $5.5k
Citi Forward - $3.9k
Discover More - $2.5k
Wells Fargo Cash Back - $1.9k
Message 19 of 20
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@CardinalRules wrote:
Thanks kevinnguyen530. Since you revived the thread, I figured i'd give everyone an update on my credit. I stayed in the garden for ~9 months, and was able to get CLIs on most of my cards as soft pulls. I also got ride of some cards with annual fees. I recently did another app spree and now have the following lineup of cards and limits:

AMEX SPG - $8000
Citi AA Visa - $6500
Citi Forward - $2500
Walmart - $3000
Discover - $2000
Wells Fargo - $1500

Really happy with these cards, especially the AA and SPG card since I'm traveling a lot more. Going to stay in the garden for a while and maybe chase some new cards next year.

Damn bro(sis), not bad! What's your income now? Maybe apply for a Freedom and CSP?

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.