Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

considering an app spree- need advice on what to get

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

considering an app spree- need advice on what to get

I just closed on my house last month yay! :-) and am thinking about apping for a couple of cards and then gardening for at least a year. I travel about twice a year and usually pay my balance in full each month. I usually use my cap one rewards everyday to get the cash back.

My cr info- exp and equifax 670, tu 700
Bk & foreclosure in 2008
Student loan 19k- current
Cap one rewards - 2500 limit, 100 bal
Cap one platinum 1750 limit, 0 bal
Orchard - 1000 limit, 0 bal
Care credit - 7000 limit, 92 bal
Lane bryant 300 limit, 0 bal

All my cards were opened in 2011 or early 2012, student loan goes back to 2006.

I was considering- Wal-Mart, DCU, Home Depot, Discover IT. I would really like a Bofa rewards card but I burned then in the bk so I don't know if that is an option.

Any thoughts on my chances with these cards? Any others I should think about?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Re: considering an app spree- need advice on what to get

DCU
walmart then Discover
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 2 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Are you already a member with DCU? If you aren't a member, Apply first for membership then apply for a cc. keep In Mind they will pull 2 sep cr on EQ. In order to get a 11.5, you need a 675 for their reg Visa (you might want to wait and see if your CS goes up a few points)

Since you just purchased a home, Lowes would be a good cc too . I agree with nicholasyud with the other 2 suggestions.

Good luck.
Message 3 of 7
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thx Lexie and nicholasyud for the input. I'm not a DCU member, just have read a lot about them on these forums. Good to know about the score, I may just wait on that. I had Lowe's included in the bk so not sure if I could get another one of those.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
Message 4 of 7
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Get your EQ score and if it's solid enough get the DCU.  You should be fine for Discover as well  GE is pretty forgiving so Lowes is worth the INQ for the shot.  You will save a ton with the 5% discount with a new house.

Message 5 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Justrebuilding wrote:
Thx Lexie and nicholasyud for the input. I'm not a DCU member, just have read a lot about them on these forums. Good to know about the score, I may just wait on that. I had Lowe's included in the bk so not sure if I could get another one of those.

DCU............ make sure you get approval for membership before applying for any CC products

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 7
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thx I didn't know that about Lowes, may give them a shot too. Thx also for the tip on membership before cc on dcu. I was also thinking about the Sallie Mae card with 5% on gas. Think I might get approved for that one?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.