cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

considering applying for chase sapphire preferred

tag

considering applying for chase sapphire preferred

Hey guys i am considering applying for a Chase Sapphire Preffered and just wanted to see if yal thought it was worth a shot applying for the card. I currently have an Amex Blue Cash Preffered with a 10k limit and a Discover IT with a 7500k limit. my fico that i get on my discover bill is usually around the 750 to 760 range. I have never had a late payment and always pay balances in full. Utility is around 12 to 15 percent. The only area i am concerned on is my income which is around 30k. My wife makes around 40k and we will both be using the card but due to her credit score we need to apply in my name. Do yal think its a good idea to apply for this card? The main reason we want the card is that my wife travels alot for work and we have cashback cards but need a good travel card. I went to the chase website and I was prequalified for the CSP, but not sure how much of an indication that is of approval. I just dont want to waste a hard pull on my credit score for nothing.  thanks in advance for any advice!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
TheFate
Established Contributor

Re: considering applying for chase sapphire preferred

If you add her on as a Co-signer or AU you can combine incomes But I would say its not a matter about getting approved (Because you will get approved) its about how much will the CL be?

Message 2 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@TheFate wrote:

If you add her on as a Co-signer or AU you can combine incomes But I would say its not a matter about getting approved (Because you will get approved) its about how much will the CL be?

Chase does not have co or joint accounts. Whether OP can use his DWs income will depend on if the  apps states personal income or allows for HHI.  Tbh, I can't recall if it states personal income. 

Message 3 of 23
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

With your score, and assuming you don't have too many HPs on your CR I would think you would get approved.

Message 4 of 23

thanks for the advice everyone. i am not planning on using her income, just mine since i have the better credit score. she will only be an authorized user. my primary concern was just my income for the card causing some problems. 

Message 5 of 23
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Your income is not an issue at all. I would personally look to get the freedom and csp. If you have both you can transfer the points and get some really good travel deals. It helps make up for the 95 af
AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 6 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Considering you're prequalified, I'd say get ready for a very nice CL upon your approval! Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@lookingforadvice86 wrote:

thanks for the advice everyone. i am not planning on using her income, just mine since i have the better credit score. she will only be an authorized user. my primary concern was just my income for the card causing some problems. 

1. I don't think your income is a problem

2. You are married though so you could put your combined income on the app

3. but again with pre-approval, your scores, your other lines... you are going to get a very large approval regardless of income stated!

Message 8 of 23

awesome so being married its ok to put a total income for both of us? i just wanted to play by the rules. also does anyone know the time that it takes to receive the card if approved? going out of town in a week and hoping if approved it comes in before so i can use it on the trip

Message 9 of 23
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Whatever you can claim on a tax return is what I would put.  My wife is a stay at home mom but if she were to apply for a credit card you can be sure I would use my income on the application.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.