cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

convert Discover card to It and keep opened date?

tag
spambait
Established Member

convert Discover card to It and keep opened date?

I have a plain old Discover Card that I've had for over 23 years.  I rarely use it, mostly once every few months just so they don't close it.  Everything else I have has better rewards.  At least the Discover It Card has 1% for everything, so I'd like to convert to it.  But I'm worried about losing an open card with that age on it.  Do they just swap out the card number & keep that original date, or do they close the old card & report a new one?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: convert Discover card to It and keep opened date?

Message 2 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

When I converted mine the original date open was kept not the date the card was converted to Discover IT. If / when you convert your card the rewards will begin at the beginning of the billing cycle..

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 6
ccuser
Valued Member

The new card comes with the same number, expiration date and CVV. Also you can still use your old card after activating the new one. The conversion will not affect your CR in any way.

AMEX BCP 25k | Discover It 17.6k | NIHFCU/Elan Bonus Rewards 9.8k | Citi ThankYou Preferred 9.4k (AU) | Barclaycard Arrival+ 8.5k | Citi Simplicity 8.5k | Andrews FCU GlobeTrek 7.5k | Sears MC 6.5k | Old Navy Visa 6k | Target 2.4k | Macy's 1.8k

EX FICO: 800 | TU FICO: 808 | EQ FICO: 815
Message 4 of 6
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Yes PC to the IT card and you can even continue to use the same card. I am still using the original Discover More card and will do so until 2017 when it expires...like the selected card design...LOL

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@AndySoCal wrote:

When I converted mine the original date open was kept not the date the card was converted to Discover IT. If / when you convert your card the rewards will begin at the beginning of the billing cycle..

+1

Like other have mentioned, a pretty painless process.  I had mine for about 16 years before I PC'd to the It.  No impact to CRs.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.