Did you mean: 

costco amex DENIED!

tag
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: costco amex DENIED!

@chnceit wrote:

OP sorry to hear you were denied. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so this is my view. People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

AMEX is a great company to be part of because of their customer service (they are top notch to me), wide range of products and generous CLI's. Do not get discouraged and maybe try for a charge card to build that relationship. Remember now Costco AMEX is hard to get and is very sought after because of the rewards.

Also they use their internal scoring heavily. 

I have two American Express cards and received them the first time I applied. I can not stand this lender at all, so in this case your "opinion" is wrong.

Message 31 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

OP sorry to hear you were denied. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so this is my view. People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

AMEX is a great company to be part of because of their customer service (they are top notch to me), wide range of products and generous CLI's. Do not get discouraged and maybe try for a charge card to build that relationship. Remember now Costco AMEX is hard to get and is very sought after because of the rewards.

Also they use their internal scoring heavily. 

I have two American Express cards and received them the first time I applied. I can not stand this lender at all, so in this case your "opinion" is wrong.

Why can't you stand them? Or maybe I should of said cannot get what you want from AMEX?? They work with you and grow!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 32 of 66
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

Everyone has their own opinion. Some people hate Barclays for taking AA often, some love them for generous/easy to get credit lines. Same goes with AMEX.. I love them.. they grew so well with me from past 2 years.. Customer Service is definitely one of the best.

Message 33 of 66
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

Why can't you stand them? Or maybe I should of said cannot get what you want from AMEX?? They work with you and grow!

I went through a financial review after spending maybe, $2000? with an income I put down of 35000, which is not much to spend at all. I charged around 4000-5000 every month with PNC and they never said a word. Anyway, I received no word from them and only found out when Mint was having a problem signing in so I signed into the American Express website and saw the accounts were suspended. Talked to the team and got instructions on what to do. Played telephone tag for at least one week and finally found out the hold up was that I sent personal tax returns instead of business, even though I clearly put on the application the business was only one month old. Anyway the cards were opened up and everything was fine. Although, they said they may do it again in six months or one year because they heavily monitor people with business cards. How caring of them.

Fast forward a few months, the 10800 limit I had with them was reduced to 1000 for non-usage. I just received the card January 2012 and already in September? they say I have not used enough of the limit to justify having it. That is ridiculous and attempts to contact someone went no where. I have not touched the Blue Cash Everyday since then, and may not even use it when the 5% Citi promotion runs out in December. I only use the Simply Cash for Federal Express, Sprint, and Bing so that they are making no money off of the charges I make.

Recently I made a payment of around 3000 to the Simply Cash and it was put on hold. I had made a similar amount payment to the Blue Cash Everyday, and no hold. They said I had never made a payment of that amount and the funds would be held until they got the okay from the bank. Barclays and General Electric held a payment before and in two seconds the person on the telephone released the hold.  I know different lenders have different policies, but as I said, I had made that amount of payment before, even though they claimed I had not. The hold was not really that big of a deal, but it just irritated me that the woman was implying someone of my age (22) may not have that much money in a bank account.

They may be a nice company to some people, but those situations sealed the idea I have of a company I never thought much of anyway. I have other cards where I do not use much of the limit and they have no problem with increasing the limit and do not lower it. I can not see myself ever applying for another American Express card, unless they have a nice bonus like the recent Platinum offer, just so I can make them lose money.

Message 34 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

I went through a financial review after spending maybe, $2000? with an income I put down of 35000, which is not much to spend at all. I charged around 4000-5000 every month with PNC and they never said a word. Anyway, I received no word from them and only found out when Mint was having a problem signing in so I signed into the American Express website and saw the accounts were suspended. Talked to the team and got instructions on what to do. Played telephone tag for at least one week and finally found out the hold up was that I sent personal tax returns instead of business, even though I clearly put on the application the business was only one month old. Anyway the cards were opened up and everything was fine. Although, they said they may do it again in six months or one year because they heavily monitor people with business cards. How caring of them.

Fast forward a few months, the 10800 limit I had with them was reduced to 1000 for non-usage. I just received the card January 2012 and already in September? they say I have not used enough of the limit to justify having it. That is ridiculous and attempts to contact someone went no where. I have not touched the Blue Cash Everyday since then, and may not even use it when the 5% Citi promotion runs out in December. I only use the Simply Cash for Federal Express, Sprint, and Bing so that they are making no money off of the charges I make.

Recently I made a payment of around 3000 to the Simply Cash and it was put on hold. I had made a similar amount payment to the Blue Cash Everyday, and no hold. They said I had never made a payment of that amount and the funds would be held until they got the okay from the bank. Barclays and General Electric held a payment before and in two seconds the person on the telephone released the hold.  I know different lenders have different policies, but as I said, I had made that amount of payment before, even though they claimed I had not. The hold was not really that big of a deal, but it just irritated me that the woman was implying someone of my age (22) may not have that much money in a bank account.

They may be a nice company to some people, but those situations sealed the idea I have of a company I never thought much of anyway. I have other cards where I do not use much of the limit and they have no problem with increasing the limit and do not lower it. I can not see myself ever applying for another American Express card, unless they have a nice bonus like the recent Platinum offer, just so I can make them lose money.

I see your point and sorry to hear about your FR, but there must of been something that spooked them to do this. Lenders give it and take it away as quickly as they issue you a CL.

So if you cannot stand this lender, but you would still go back to them to apply so they are not as bad as what you think then right??

Message 35 of 66
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

I see your point and sorry to hear about your FR, but there must of been something that spooked them to do this. Lenders give it and take it away as quickly as they issue you a CL.

So if you cannot stand this lender, but you would still go back to them to apply so they are not as bad as what you think then right??

Reports are clean (I looked) and utilisation is always 0 - 5%, maybe 10% if I forget to pay early. Yes they have every right to reduce the credit limit, it just seems silly to reduce a limit because someone isn't using all of it every month.

I would only sign up for their card if it had a big bonus. After I received the bonus, I would never use the card again. This does not mean I cannot stand them, it means that I want to take advantage of them and cause them to lose money. I hate Bank of America as well, but did not hesitate to apply for their 400 for spending 500 promotion.

American Express, to me, just seems too much of a hassle to deal with. You see people worrying about a balance reporting that may scare American Express, worrying about paying on the due date, worrying about every little thing just to keep American Express happy. I don't want to do business with a lender that is that difficult to keep from closing or freezing an account. Chase, Citi, PNC, Barclays, FIA, and others I have have been wonderful with everything, except Chase having at least seven inquiries on Experian. Their rewards are also much better than American Express, so I for me they are worthless. I know a lot of people here like them because a lof of people here travel, but I do not and they don't really have cards for cashback people.

Message 36 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Reports are clean (I looked) and utilisation is always 0 - 5%, maybe 10% if I forget to pay early. Yes they have every right to reduce the credit limit, it just seems silly to reduce a limit because someone isn't using all of it every month.

I would only sign up for their card if it had a big bonus. After I received the bonus, I would never use the card again. This does not mean I cannot stand them, it means that I want to take advantage of them and cause them to lose money. I hate Bank of America as well, but did not hesitate to apply for their 400 for spending 500 promotion.

American Express, to me, just seems too much of a hassle to deal with. You see people worrying about a balance reporting that may scare American Express, worrying about paying on the due date, worrying about every little thing just to keep American Express happy. I don't want to do business with a lender that is that difficult to keep from closing or freezing an account. Chase, Citi, PNC, Barclays, FIA, and others I have have been wonderful with everything, except Chase having at least seven inquiries on Experian. Their rewards are also much better than American Express, so I for me they are worthless. I know a lot of people here like them because a lof of people here travel, but I do not and they don't really have cards for cashback people.

I dont know about Barclays they are notorious for AA even applying for new credit they will close your account. 

FIA is owned by Bank of America so their practices and CSR are very similar. 

Everyone has their own personal view and I also see your point. Like most members state move on to bigger and better things if you dont like a company

Message 37 of 66
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

This is an ignorant statement.  There are many people who have had/have an AMEX card and dislike them.  I have acquired (and fired) them multiple times.  I still get offers from them weekly.  I would definitely not call their cusotmer service top notch, either for business or personal.  I have had better CS from Discover and Chase, hell even Citi was better.

Everyone has a YMMV with AMEX but to flat out claim that everyone who hates them can't get them is just irresponsible. 

Message 38 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

This is an ignorant statement.  There are many people who have had/have an AMEX card and dislike them.  I have acquired (and fired) them multiple times.  I still get offers from them weekly.  I would definitely not call their cusotmer service top notch, either for business or personal.  I have had better CS from Discover and Chase, hell even Citi was better.

Everyone has a YMMV with AMEX but to flat out claim that everyone who hates them can't get them is just irresponsible. 

Like I said its a personal view Smiley Wink and I am entitled to it thanks!

Message 39 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@sccredit wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

You must be joking right CITI? Really! Smiley LOL

And I do agree that all lenders are YMMV

Message 40 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.