Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

costco amex DENIED!

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Re: costco amex DENIED!

@mpswirl wrote:

today i went to upgrade my costco membership to executive and they told me about the amex card they offered. i knew i had a few inq on my credit and thought i wouldn't get it and i didn't. Called the number 3 different time and 3 different Idians told me word for word the same crap each time. They have my credit score about 20pts lower than it really is, they said i have a collection which i dont, they said my util is high which i think it is at 45% thats my fault i pay it at the wrong times of the month and they repart high. They said my aaoa is low, i guess it is from the new cc's i got 3.5yrs aaoa. I was so mad the i wasted a HP all to get denied. I will never ever app for a amex again, i have great cards already i just thought having 1 card for costco would of been nice thing. Live and learn

you should be more focused on correcting your reports than being upset at AMEX for denying you.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 21 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Astritaho1979, you have to be kidding! a "us citizen"?
Amex is worst lender because you got denied?
Message 22 of 66
MrxLeo
Contributor

Maybe they feel that they may be giving you too much exposure since you have another revolver with them?  Or it may have something to do with your debt to income ratio.  Sounds like you have over $12k in debt between your roughly $30k in unsecured credit lines.  I suspect AMEX to want to see low utility in their approvals so that may be key.

Anyhow, I will giving them a shot in about 2 weeks as well so keep you posted!  Thanks for your info!

Starting Score: 609
Current Score: EX: 723 (08/18), TU: 741 (08/15), EQ: 695(08/15)
Goal Score: 785

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 66
chnceit
Valued Contributor

OP sorry to hear you were denied. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so this is my view. People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

AMEX is a great company to be part of because of their customer service (they are top notch to me), wide range of products and generous CLI's. Do not get discouraged and maybe try for a charge card to build that relationship. Remember now Costco AMEX is hard to get and is very sought after because of the rewards.

Also they use their internal scoring heavily. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 24 of 66
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@MrxLeo wrote:

Maybe they feel that they may be giving you too much exposure since you have another revolver with them?  Or it may have something to do with your debt to income ratio.  Sounds like you have over $12k in debt between your roughly $30k in unsecured credit lines.  I suspect AMEX to want to see low utility in their approvals so that may be key.

Anyhow, I will giving them a shot in about 2 weeks as well so keep you posted!  Thanks for your info!

OP stated they had an USAA Amex....not an actual AMEX card.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 25 of 66
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

call back after a week and you should have a american person

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 26 of 66
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Message 27 of 66
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@mpswirl wrote:

Very true repo, i just think im mad becuase i didnt get it.....all in all they look at millions of apps not just mine so i can understand their side i just wish i could plead my case, they wouldnt even let me speak all they said is they can send it for another review but it would be another hard pull so i said no. Only loss in this is a HP for me, i will certainly live to see another day.

This seems to be the common issue with banks. They don't deal with a personal level because of the fact that they have millions of others applying. In any case, in due time and with hard work you will probably get it. 

Message 28 of 66
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

OP sorry to hear you were denied. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion so this is my view. People who hate AMEX is the people who just cant acquire them period. 

AMEX is a great company to be part of because of their customer service (they are top notch to me), wide range of products and generous CLI's. Do not get discouraged and maybe try for a charge card to build that relationship. Remember now Costco AMEX is hard to get and is very sought after because of the rewards.

Also they use their internal scoring heavily. 

This just seems to be the common trend lately. Banks get millions of applications and calculate their risk using a formula. We can all be interested in their formula but it doesn't change the fact that some people will still get declined while others will be approved. The reality is...it is almost a game. Some people can get in with Amex while others can't get in Citi, Chase, and so on. Some people get a rep on the phone that is in a bad mood, who has no power, or may not like you as a caller and your credit may be worse or better than the next caller and they may decided to approve the one that they feel is more friendly or relatable. 

Message 29 of 66
eviLution
Established Contributor

I'm gonna apply for Amex once I get a year of history and I'm gonna make sure 5-9% utilization before I app.

I know I have a chance of approval for one of their charge cards, but I'm in no rush. I'd rather be hit with 1hp with patience rather than 3.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 30 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.