Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card and effect on credit score

tag
outofthewoods
Valued Member

credit card and effect on credit score

Hi

I was playing with the myfico score simulator and was suprised when I selected "apply for and receive a new cc..." simulation, it actually RAISED my score. why is that? should I apply for qa card in real life?

currently my tu is 649, eq 629.

the simulation was with the TU.

the simulation showed me losing 10 pts with EQ

so what do you think?

Message Edited by outofthewoods on 07-02-2009 11:30 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: credit card and effect on credit score

How many cards currently? Any neggies on the reports? 
Message 2 of 9
outofthewoods
Valued Member

Im an AU on my sisters card, and I have one of my own..low bal on both.

All the negs on my report stem from a divorce. they are all about 4 yrs old. no bk, no repo's, or anything like that. just had a collection come off which jumped my EQ to 649

Message 3 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

The minimum number of cards needed to get max points for #cards with balance is 3.
Message 4 of 9
outofthewoods
Valued Member

thanks...ok if you were me, what card would you try to get?
Message 5 of 9
outofthewoods
Valued Member

"The minimum number of cards needed to get max points for #cards with balance is 3. "

does this mean 3 cards would be best?

Message 6 of 9
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@outofthewoods wrote:

"The minimum number of cards needed to get max points for #cards with balance is 3. "

It depends on what else you have on your file. If you have any installment loans, you'll need more CCs to offset them.

You basically want more than half of your CCs to have $0 balance on your CRs. You also want at least half of all of your loans to have no balance. An installment loan always has a balance until it is paid off.

If you wanted a mortgage and a car loan and were trying to set up for scoring, you would want 4 CCs. 2 loans and 1 CC with a balance and 3 CCs without a balance. Adding more $0 CCs doesn't hurt, and builds a buffer against mistakes and midcycle balances reporting. it also helps provide a buffer for Adverse Action from creditors. For non-scoring purposes, you always want a couple of backups.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@outofthewoods wrote:

My simulations on the FICO Estimator, have shown FICO prefers 4 to 5 revolving accounts.
Message 8 of 9
outofthewoods
Valued Member

thanks.

no loans or anying else open on my reports.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.