Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card apps

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card apps

I wonder why no company allows you to apply for their cards in a general sense.  You fill out an application for a card, they run your credit and then they tell you what cards you are approved for and what limit/terms...  Instead of the present model where you choose the card you want and then they say yay or nay...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: credit card apps

@Anonymous wrote:

I wonder why no company allows you to apply for their cards in a general sense.  You fill out an application for a card, they run your credit and then they tell you what cards you are approved for and what limit/terms...  Instead of the present model where you choose the card you want and then they say yay or nay...

IMO it is because of the fact that Creditors use automated underwriting;   their systems are built to tolerate a certain level of risk, and to generate a Yes or No approval.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
OhioCPA
Frequent Contributor

I have seen some pre-approval offers where the fine print will state that if you don't qualify for the first tier card they will consider you for the second tier card. I agree with the OP that it would make more sense if they were to offer you what you are qualifed for after the application is processed, and let you decide which card you want.

________________________________________________________________________________
Message 3 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Maybe has something to do with their agreements with EX, EQ, and TU about how they can use a credit report? 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a bad idea OP. :-)

Its thinking outside of the box.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.