Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card companies and BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card companies and BK

Do certain credit card companies automatically reject you when you apply for a credit card because you have a BK on your credit report?  I had a BK back in 2007 and my current FICO is 720 and was thinking about applying for a chase credit card but i've read many posts on credit karma where people were claiming that they were auto rejected because of BK.  Thank You for any info on this matter.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: credit card companies and BK

Some do it depends on creditor. If you burned a creditor like Chase, Citi and AMEX they can deny you long after the BK has been removed. Chase denied me a card and it has been 17 years and it was a card they purchased after my BK. You can search the board for BK friendly credit cards at the top of the page. Good Luck with your credit journey!

Smiley Happy edit: Welcome to the forum!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The question is: did you burn chase itself? If not, they may be ok with it. If you did, not gonna happen
Message 3 of 7
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I was just approved for Amex and Discover nearly 6 years after my Ch 13 that didn't include either of them.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think i burned chase.  I don't quite remember, but when i declared ch.7 back in 2007, i had very little credit card debt, it was mostly to get rid of car loan i couldn't afford. I had a college credit card but i have no idea whom it was issued by at that time got the card back in 1996).

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

I was just approved for Amex and Discover nearly 6 years after my Ch 13 that didn't include either of them.

This..that didn't include either of them. - Is key

Message 6 of 7
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

I have a BK7 from 07 on my reports.  I was just approved for AMEX ED at $11.3K.  I've had Discover at $6.5K for almost 2 yrs. and I have 2 Barclay cards total $15.2K.

I had a Chase Freedom that started as a WaMu Platinum Visa.  When Chase took over from WaMu they cut my limit in half and raised the APR. I put in an app for the CSP and Marriott card both were declined even after recon.

That's my experience but others with blemished records have reproted success.  A lot depends on what card you app for and how your profile has developed since the BK.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.