cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card fraud - card closed and new one reissued - effect on CR?

tag
creditpete

credit card fraud - card closed and new one reissued - effect on CR?

Hi,

I recently had fraudulent charges on one of my CC's.  I just noticed on my CRs that they closed this card and notated it as "in dispute".

Will this have any immediate negative effect on my CRs?  I am getting credit pulled for a mortgage next week

Luckily my statement cuts this Sunday - the CC customer service rep said the new card will be reported but I'm afraid about these "in dispute" comments.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Re: credit card fraud - card closed and new one reissued - effect on CR?

If a question is asked, can't you just say what happened? If you said the charges aren't yours, then the account is "in dispute" because they still do what they have to do to review the charges. I didn't apply for a mortage, but underwriters have seen accounts in dispute for chargebacks before and didn't say anything.

Message 2 of 7
creditpete

Will I lose all of my account history?  The card has some nice history.

Message 3 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

While an account is in dispute it will not be taken into consideration for scoring purposes.
Message 4 of 7
creditpete

That's not good - I need the CL for utilization

Again, I did not dispute the account with the CRAs - I dispute an unauthorized charge, two completely different things.

Message 5 of 7
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@creditpete wrote:

Will I lose all of my account history?  The card has some nice history.

PNC transferred over everything to the new tradeline, so no lost history.

@creditpete wrote:

That's not good - I need the CL for utilization

Again, I did not dispute the account with the CRAs - I dispute an unauthorized charge, two completely different things.

Disputing a charge means that the account is in dispute; you don't have to dispute it with an angency for that statement to be there. Once the new account starts reporting then you will get the credit limit back. For me, when the account was in dispute, it didn't show any information at all. It showed in dispute and everything else, including payment history, was blank.

Message 6 of 7
creditpete

ok thank you - this makes me feel better.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.